Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:29:55 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: how to fix floppy armrests (was Re: Looking for Grab handle
              packing ??
Comments: To: hunnam <rayjen@pnc.com.au>

Ray,

If you have already managed to removed the adjusting knob which as I said in my last post a big no-no, you will need to disembowel the armrest. remove the plastic end piece. Once that is gone, you should be able to slip the fabric off like a stocking. It will be a tight one but it is possible to remove it w/o damage. Once off, it will be obvious how that adjusting knob and rod goes into the armrest. First you have to cut the molded foam cover. The plastic channel within the armrest should now be visible. Within that channel is the free sliding nut which is supposed to mate with your adjusting rod. Sounds kinky but not really. I used a needle nose pliers to hold the nut steady whilst threading the adjusting rod back in. Don't forget to thread it through the plastic end piece or you will have to start over. Glued foam back together again. Pull upholstery back over and you should have a functioning armrest. Easier said than done but it is possible.

BenT

On 4/11/06, hunnam <rayjen@pnc.com.au> wrote: > > Thanks Ben Chris & Brett > > I will answer you all three in the one post > > Ben I already have the armrests off the seat frame. I already knew how to > get the armrests off, courtesy of the archives. What I needed to know is > how to take the armrests apart. > > Chris and Brett thanks for your input you both have came up with the same > info, which I knew already, courtesy of the archives. Unfortunately I need > to go the next step. Just how do they come apart. Any ideas. > > Brett Back home I see, I feel like a jilted lover, why didn't you ring. > ( ok all other listees this is a private joke and has no sexual connotations > or innuendo whatsoever, so no second guessing what it means ) > > Any one have any of those packing pieces for the grab handle. > > Ray. > > -----Original Message----- > *From:* JordanVw@aol.com [mailto:JordanVw@aol.com] > *Sent:* Tuesday, 11 April 2006 1:43 AM > *To:* rayjen@PNC.COM.AU; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > *Subject:* how to fix floppy armrests (was Re: Looking for Grab handle > packing ?? > > In a message dated 4/10/06 4:51:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time, > rayjen@PNC.COM.AU writes: > > > > Second question. Drivers inboard seat armrest. The winding mechanism > doesn't work. The armrest hangs like a limp you know what, could be the > long > bolt has parted from the seat frame. I have removed the screw under the > winding knob but cannot remove the plastic surround on the underside of > the > rest. Does the winding knob pull off?? Any ideas on a fix would be > gratefully appreciated. > > Please no flames about looking in the archives I have already tried but > have > not had much luck with the information required. > > Ray Hunnam > Penrith Australia > > > > fwd from the archives: > > In a message dated 3/2/05 10:06:19 PM Eastern Standard Time, > Taobythesea@AOL.COM writes: > > > > My armrest on my Capt chair is loose as a goose on my 87 Westy. Do you > > know > > if you can tighten them up? I can't see how, and I am afraid that the > > thing > > is going to > > > > How to tighten vanagon armrests: > > 82-86 capt chair armrests: > remove plastic plug in armrest and remove allen bolt. slide armrest off > shaft. > tighten smaller allen bolts that hold shaft to the seatback. if a bolt > head > has sheared off, leaving the threaded shaft in the hold, you need to use a > needlenose pliers and carefully move back the vinyl so you can get to the > back > side of the sheared off bolt. continue to TIGHTEN the bolt - all the way, > and > the whole bolt will eventually come out thru the backside. then you just > repl > ace with a new allen bolt, or slotted bolt (metric) avaialbe at your local > hardware store or i have some. > ***Note: before installing armrest back on shaft, place a few drops of oil > on > the shaft to ease installation and to prevent rust which could make the > armrest sieze up on the shaft.. > > '87 -'91 adjustable armrests: > the '87 up capt. chair armrests are put on with a set pin. > use your fingers and compress foam on the armrest between armrest and > seatback, so you can see the set pin. you might need a small flashlight > you can hold > in your mouth while you do this. you will need a centerpunch just under > the > diameter of the set pin, or a large framing nail just under the diameter > of the > set pin with the tip flattened to use as a centerpunch. > the setpin will be sticking out more on one side of the shaft. use your > centepunch and tap the set pin out on the side opposite to the side its > sticking > out the most. > ****NOTE: you must put a credit card or putty knife between the set pin > and > vinyl armrest to guide it out so it doesnt get hung up on the vinyl, or > the > set pin will gouge/tear the armrest vinyl when you are punching it out. > > once setpin is out, slide the armrest off the shaft. tighten or replace > the > little allen bolts that hold the shaft to the seatback as per the > instructions for the '82-'86 armrests. > apply drop of oil to shaft, then lightly tap setpin in place in the > armrest > socket, and line it up with the corresponding hole in the armrest shaft. > this > is a pain in the ass. so have patience. i usually put another framing > nail > of the same diameter in the bottom hole opposite of the hole your'e > tapping > the setpin into, to line them up. > once you got the setpin started in the whole, do not tap it in all the > way, > only as much as it was originally tapped in. > > chris > >

-- BenT