Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:38:57 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: redline (not the oil)
Comments: To: Pensioner <al_knoll@pacbell.net>

Great post Al!

On 4/10/06, Pensioner <al_knoll@pacbell.net> wrote: > > My engine has a rev limiter at 6500. Loves to go to 5000. Torque PEAK is > ~4500. But hey it's not a wasserleaker....You gotta love that 180+lbs-ft > from 2000 to 6000. Who needs four gears? Torque peak in 3d is > 75mph. Who > needs more than that in a 5000 lb brick. With these enviable > characteristics, the 0.77 top is an overdrive. 2d is in town, 3d is good > to > 75mph on the superslab and 4th is economy overdrive. Any Subaru dealer > carries parts for the motor. > > Four cam, 3.3l, 240HP, 235lbs-ft torque, non interference, 7 main > bearings, > real time knock sensor timing compensation, MAF fuel control...the list > goes > on and on. > > Dump that antiquated hermaphroditic malignancy 2.1 leaker and get a real > motor, modern design, excellent engine management system, fine > performance > (ovelooking the installers frailties and poor workmanship) runs cleaner at > 100K than the 2.1 on day 1. My good volks, all those vanagone motahs are > doddering old ladies with very little left to give let them retire with > dignity rather than in a clanking squeal of destruction. 1990 was sixteen > years ago....even the newest are ancient now. Postpone entropy, upgrade > now, many to choose from, 1.9TD, 2.5tdi, ej22, ej25, ej33, even detlev the > theif tries to sell you an AUDI CIS 2.2 crapper for 10000USD that's better > than what you have. Your powerplant is an antiquated collectors item > project ride forever in need of high maintenance with a diminishing number > of suppliers and no future. If it wasn't for Ron, John 3:16, and Jeff and > others you couldn't even find replacement parts. Without Leon, Seth, > Beetsport, Karl there would be very damn little support. If you like this > kind of self flagellation buy a 1950 Crosley or a corvair turbo corsa or > 1981 UrQ WR or a GM Motorhome. Fulfill your wildest dreams of no parts, > no > support, only an aging group of enthusiasts fading into the sunset trying > desperately to keep their dream on the road. > > Even the ej22 is FAR better than anything you can turn that engineering > disaster of a wasserleaker into.... ratio rockers, boring stroking > praying. > Simply a bad design followed by more bad designs (eurovan weinerbagel, > toureg, phaeton, new microbus never to live... VW is sinking fast, get > out > while you can, most 'technicians' at Dub dealerships have never seen a > vanagon. Donning my Nomex, I remain from a fur lined rut off a scenic > information byway, yr lyl obd svt, > > Pensioner (syncro westy SVX #2) 207Kmi and hangin in there tooth and claw > and much welded exhaust > > laissez les bonne tours roulet > > Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:50:33 -0400 > From: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET> > Subject: Re: redline (not the oil) > > Since the engine runs at 4,000 rpm or over in 4th gear, why do you feel > that you need to shift out of third at 3,000 rpm? You are doing engine > damage from lugging. This is the best way to destroy main and rod > bearings. The Vanagon engine is an under square engine. That is, the > stroke is less than the bore. As such, for its size, it is not a torque > producer. Power is developed at speed. When accelerating quickly, I > up-shift as the acceleration is dropping off. This is usually about > 4,200 to 4,400 rpm. When taking hills, if needed I will hold ~ 4,500 > rpm, backing off the gas if up shifting will then cause me to loose > speed. Going above that for short spurts is OK but extended open > throttle high speed operation will quickly heat the oil and as the > torque drops off, there is not much benefit. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > Of chris > Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 6:12 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: redline (not the oil) > > How high do you guys usually allow your motors to rev when trying to > pull up in 3rd and get going fast enough to continue on into 4th gear? > > From listening to the motor, I try to always keep it under 3k if I can, > but when fully loaded and on a trip (going uphills/etc) I find myself > often pushing the 4k mark. > > At what point are you going too high and doing damage? > > Thanks, > chris >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com