Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:44:18 -0400
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Was: Mystery Loss of Power At Startup - now Adjusting Parking
              Brake or Emergency Brake

Yesterday, Dennis Haynes replied that improper adjustment of the parking / emergency brake could be the cause of the problem this thread raised. He said he had explained this previously on the list and it was in the archives. He didn't have the time to repeat it then.

Despite those naysayers who believe nothing can be found on the archives, I found the procedure that Dennis describes for adjusting the parking brake. In the process I also came upon a number of other good tips for maintaining your brakes that Dennis has contributed over the years. I must have saved 6-8 other posts from Dennis. Dennis is consistent in reminding people that brakes need regular attention and that the main reason some people think Vanagon brakes are bad is because they haven't maintained their brakes well.

What I found follows:

First, Dennis' answer yesterday to a recent post:

If you adjusted the brakes after inspecting them, then something is wrong there. They are supposed to be self adjusting. My bet is that you adjusted them wrong and the brakes are dragging and after a short run they are expanding and getting even tighter. Did you adjust the handbrake after adjusting the star wheel between the shoes? If so, you screwed up the works. I have posted brake adjustment procedures in the past. Check the archives. I have to run for now, but if you need instructions again, I will be happy to help you later.

Dennis

Search of the archives found this:

From: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET> Subject: Re: Self-adjusting brakes? True/ False 88GL Comments: To: Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>

If the brakes are assembled correctly and everything is working, they are self adjusting. There are a number of things I always see that make them not work properly.

Drum diameter must be in spec. Aftermarket shoes rarely have the full thickness lining, new should be 6mm. Since the shoes only travel and move at the top, these dimensions are critical. Did the old shoes wear evenly? If only worn on top, then the drums are oversized. Hand brake cable adjustment is done before installing drums. With shoes in place, turn top adjuster to just take up the slack, do not push shoes out. Them adjust cable linkage to have ~1/16" clearance at the arm. Work lever to see that both sides are even. It's OK to have to pull on one side to take up slack on the other but make sure the arms return fully when the lever is all the way down. If the cables do not move freely and consistently, it is time for new cables. I often add shims to the lower shoe mounts to get the bottoms moved closer to the drums. I find 3mm under each post usually works, even with new drums and OEM shoes. After market shoes need 4 or 5mm.

After installing the drums, you can work the adjustment from behind the backing plate to get things started. This will also adjust the parking brake. If the parking brake does not work after this something is wrong. Adjusting the parking brake cable after this will mess up the adjuster operation as the lever can not return all the way home.

Dennis

And this from an older post:

Question 5 - The hand-brake adjustment was loosened for the procedure and tightened again after. It felt ok, but after the rolling backwards and braking, it was very high. Does this adjustment have to be done only once the brakes have fully tightened again? Or was it something else I did wrong?

Dennis' answer:

I adjust the cables with the drums off so I can see the slack. I adjust to just remove the slack and take up the play in the lever on the shoes. Tightening cables too much will keep adjusters from working also.

The end.

Hope this helps someone.

Sam

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL, Zetec Inside 85 Westy Weekender 85 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbodiesel - to become veggie oil powered

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.