Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:20:19 +1000
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: H&R Lowering springs and Koni shocks

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:21:07 -0700 From: Andrew Martin <campahvan@EARTHLINK.NET> Subject: FS - H&R Lowering springs and Koni shocks

I recently purchased an 85 Transporter that had H&R lowering springs and adjustable red Koni shocks. While the low rider look and feel may appeal to some folks, I plan to use my truck as a truck and I want the stock ground clearance and spring travel back so I can haul heavy stuff and drive off pavement.

I had originally planned to simply replace just the springs but upon removal of the H&R's and installation the new Boge springs, I have discovered that the rear Koni shocks that came on my Transporter were built for use only on a vehicle with the H&R lowering springs. Fully extended, they are about 2-1/4" shorter than a rear KYB shock for the Vanagon and will not have enough "up" travel if used on a non-lowered Vanagon. The front Koni shocks seem to fit just fine and have plenty of "up" travel with the taller springs. I don't have any spare Vanagon front shocks lying around to compare them lengthwise but I have decided to sell the 4 H&R springs and 4 Koni shocks as a complete set. I have read some opinions that using the adjustable Koni shocks is important to maintain a comfortable ride when using lowering springs. YRMV. These "red" Koni shocks are called "special" on the Koni web site and are adjustable for stiffness but I do not have the tool to adjust them. I'm sure the tool is available or could be "home made".

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hmmm....I have had red Konis on my WBX for years with the standard height springs and had no fitting problems...

Anyway, there are no special tools required to adjust the stiffness and the instructions below are straight from the Koni fitting instructions that came with mine all those years ago FYI...

Adjustment:

If adjustment of the damping forces is desired or necessary, this can be done as follows. Remove the shock absorber from the vehicle and hold it vertically with the lower eye or pin attachment in a vice. Use clamp plates to prevent damage.

Attention: If there is an indentation in the dust cap and the cover shows two holes, the SA is fitted with a bump rubber. If so, fully extend the SA and insert a round bar or screw driver through the holes. Push the bump rubber down and remove it. Remove the split plastic collar (if fitted) from the piston rod.

Fully close the SA at the same time turning the dust cap or piston rod slowly to the left (anti-clockwise) until it is felt that the cams of the adjusting nut engage in the recesses of the foot valve assembly.

The damper may already have been adjusted. Therefore check whether the SA is in the unadjusted position or not by keeping it closed and gently turning it further to the left, counting at the same time the half turns until a stop is felt. Stop turning then and do not use force.

Keeping the SA closed, make two half turns 360deg to the right (clockwise). In case of prior adjustment add the number of turns previously found. Total range is about 5 half turns.

Pull the shock out vertically for at least 1cm (3/8" for the metric challenged ones) to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The dust cap or piston rod may now be turned freely.

Attention: Where a bump rubber was installed, refit same inside the dust cap and by fully closing the SA, the rubber will seat again on top of the dust cap. Refit the split plastic collar.

The SA can now be refitted.

NB. Adjustment must always be carried out in pairs - 2 front and/or 2 rears - and for the same amount.

So there you go....have fun :-)

Cheers, Steve O '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Land Rover 109 Series 3 soft top ute (ex-Aust.Army)

"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."