Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:36:49 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Was Passat Steel Wheels FS, Addendum
Comments: To: joe trussell <vanagongl@hotmail.com>

Attaboy Joe, give 'em hell!

On 4/12/06, joe trussell <vanagongl@hotmail.com> wrote: > > Hi folks, > > Sorry about the rant last night. After another long evening of work, I > was > mentally exhausted and, instead of beating my Vanagon to death with a > hammer, decided to vent to the list. > > Thanks for all of your suggestions. I wanted to make one more thing > clear: > > This is an awesome conversion. From what I've seen and heard, I am the > exception and not the rule as far as its success rate. If I had to do it > all over again, you bet your a$$ I'd want a Subaru motor. > > So, for anybody on the fence about taking the plunge, don't let me > discourage you. I still believe in the conversion; I just think I've got > a > bad something somewhere (a bit vague...) but at some point, come hell or > high water, I'll be driving it again. > > Thanks again, > joe T. > > > >From: joe trussell <vanagongl@HOTMAIL.COM> > >Reply-To: joe trussell <vanagongl@HOTMAIL.COM> > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Subject: Was Passat Steel Wheels FS, now a big long b**ch session > >Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 03:33:32 +0000 > > > >Not contagious, but physically more nauseating than three day-old sushi. > >Left on a Vanagon's dash. In the summertime. > > > >Part of it is here: www.josephtrussell.com/Vanagon.html. > > > >What's not there is that I've had the Subie engine mount/timing > >cover/engine > >dropped in and out/ three times now. I've had three different sets of > cam > >and crank sensors. Three starters, two of them high-torque (to their > >credit, the latest high-torque starter turns the motor really > well.) I've > >had four ECM's, four sets of plugs, two coil packs, and two mass airflow > >meters. > > > >Now I'm up to three months (four weeks of NO START,) 200 hours of labor, > >and > >about four hours of sleep per night. > > > >I've tested voltage as I was instructed to do. I've taken off every > single > >connector, cleaned it, and plugged it back up. I've taken out the > >injectors > >and tested them. > > > >I've got spark, I've got fuel, I've got air, I've got timing, but I've > got > >no running engine. > > > >I've had friends look at it. My neighbor, a real-life professional > >mechanic > >(on Freightlineres, but still...,) is stumped. My brother, who's been > >racing VW's for twenty-five years, can't figure it out. > > > >I've had the SubaruVanagon list on their ear trying to figure it out, and > >God bless them and all of the suggestions and encouragement and support > and > >general good vibes. Warren, Brent, Jake, Tom, and Leon, and everybody > else > >that I am probably forgetting, I wasn't kidding when I said I owe you > Jack > >Daniels Single Barrel. The SubaruVanagon list is amazing. > > > >I know what most of you will say, it's my own damned fault for going > >against > >VW and my weak, anemic, P.O.S. 1.9l wasserboxer, but I want to prove to > >everybody I know that time has NOT passed this vehicle by. There is > >nothing > >better than a Vanagon. Especially one with 140 horsepower. > > > >Thing is, I drove a Subie conversion and was so taken with it that I had > to > >do it. I bit off more than I could chew. The conversion looks > absolutely > >beautiful; I didn't skimp on anything. Wiring harness professionally > done > >to perfection. Top-of-the-line conversion parts from Kennedy, Smallcar, > >and > >H&R start to finish. Only OEM Subaru parts. > > > >But it won't fire. > > > >I hate to lay this out there, but tonight I thought I had it dead to > >rights. > > I was sure I'd found the key, in the form of another ECU and the > correct > >air flow meter, but still nothing. > > > >Tomorrow I'll have it towed to a shop, if I can find a shop that will > look > >at it, and take it on the chin monetarily and in the pride department. > > > >Taking it too seriously you say? I do admit that I had an absolute blast > >putting everything together. Accumulating parts, the installation, the > >education, the friendships I've developed cannot be understated. But, > it's > >been a lot of work without the ultimate payoff, so I'm a little pissed. > > > >The whole time I was working towards finishing, I couldn't stop having > that > >creeping feeling in the back of my head, that nightmare thought, what if > it > >doesn't start? The whole time I was spending money, getting parts, > >cleaning, prepping, assembling, it was always in the back of my head. > > > >In any case, hopefully a professional can complete the job for me. I'm > out > >of time and almost out of money. > > > >I'm thinking maybe I can put a towtruck on retainer and have it pull me > up > >to beautiful campsites around Colorado this summer. Maybe I'll see some > of > >you in the mountains! > > > >Look for the '85 Wolfsburg Westfalia. It'll be on a flatbed, top popped > >and > >awning precariously swinging from the side. > > > >Sorry to waste time bellyaching, but AHHH damn I feel better already. If > >you're still reading, I apologize for the waste of time. > > > >Oh--I bought a set of Vanagon alloys. That's why the Passat wheels are > for > >sale :). Of course, right after I hit the Paypal button, I said to > myself, > > > >"what the hell are you doing??? The damned thing doesn't even START!!!" > > > >I've always wanted Vanagon alloys, though. (This is a disease, folks.) > > > >Joe T. > >Denver, CO > >'85 Wolfsburg Westfalia with a starter-powered Subaru EJ22 paperweight > > > > > >>From: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM> > >>Reply-To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM> > >>To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >>Subject: Re: Passat Steel Wheels ET37 FS in Denver > >>Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:31:48 -0700 > >> > >>Joe has "freshly installed Subaru motor that won't fire" itis. Very > >>intense > >>at first, then gradually disappears. Not contagious. > >> > >>On 4/11/06, Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com> wrote: > >> > > >> > Hey man, whats wrong with the gon? Those wheels sound nice and the > >>price > >> > is > >> > more than right.Lets get a smile back on your face and maybe keep > those > >> > wheels(ear to ear then).What symptoms do you have? > >> > > >> > >> > >> > >>-- > >>Jake > >>1984 Vanagon GL > >>1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" > >>www.crescentbeachguitar.com > > > >_________________________________________________________________ > >Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's > FREE! > >http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/ > > _________________________________________________________________ > Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! > http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/ >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com