Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:16:05 -0700
From:         Zeitgeist <gruengeist@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch Peddle engagement point??

I've had the same experience with each of my four Vanagons. I rarely drive ours, but when I did the other day I noticed it was disengaging nearly at the floor. I did a quickie clutch bleed, and now it disengages at approximately the halfway point.

On 4/14/06, Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@yahoo.com> wrote: > I've owned 4 different vanagon manual transmissions (and driven several more) and while they have > all had slightly different points on the Clutch Peddle where the clutch begins to engage the > engine, they were all at about 50-75% of the travel of the clutch peddle, with FULL engagement > being about 80-95% of the clutch travel. The numbers may differ, but I hope that you get the idea. > > In my current (and new to me) van, the clutch peddle does not BEGIN to engage the engine until > about 90% of the way UP its travel, and then there is really no peddle travel left when the clutch > if 100% engaged (and I'm driving along. > > Does this mean that the Clutch is wearing out, and time for a new clutch??? I (think I) know > it's hydraulic and there is no adjustment to be made. > > Any insight?? It's a 1989 2.1L (DJ engine) Syncro 16. Thanks, malcolm

Casey Olympia, WA Biodiesel: "I drive in a persistent vegetative state" '87 300TD intercooler (212k) '84 300D (211k) Gashuffer: '89 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition (187K)