Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Apr 2006 16:10:17 -0400
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@WHISPLLC.COM>
Subject:      Re: digijet FI adjustments
Comments: To: Brian Keese <brian.keese@STILTMART.COM>

Hi Brian I also have a 84 that will run like a dream but when it warms up it will go into as small surging at idle after a freeway run. if i just sit there at idle it just stops surging. i then do another run of some sort and it surges but after about a half a min it goes away. it does not affect throttle response or power or anything. It is just a pain to pull up to the light and it just surges or small revs. I did pull a vacuum line off of the air distributor just to check something and the surgind started right up. so My guess is i have and you may have a air leak after the throttle body. A friend of mine did have a rusted out seam on the bottom of his air distributor a few years ago. My van is still surging and ive yet to find the source. Of cours one of the push rod tubes has just started to leak so i will be fixing this soon. This van only has 23 k on it since new but ive replaced most all rubber items on it due to age. Let me know if you find the issue if not an air leak. thanks Jonce

>Dennis or anyone,

>I found this thread in the archives. It describes the situation with my 84 >1.9 digijet.

>I occasionally have surging at idle, especially immediately after a warm >start. How can I correct that?

>Unplugging the O2 sensor and/or the idle stabilizer doesn't stop the >surging. I have set the throttle idle switch, timing and idle speed as per >the Bentley. The Temp II sensor was replaced a couple years ago, as well >as the grounds being checked (but I couldn't find one on the right-side >head). It was running great without this surging until I had to reseal the >heads a couple of months ago. The surging started after that job was >complete. I can't find any connectors that I missed, and I'm almost >certain all the vacuum lines ended up in the correct places. I might have >a vacuum leak somewhere near the throttle body. I can't tell if it really >is a leak, or if it is just air whooshing through the throttle opening. >Today I tried simply screwing in the idle adjustment screw until the >surging subsided. I haven't tried yet to drive it or to start it cold with >this new idle setting.

>The van is performing great otherwise, so I haven't worried too much about >fixing this. Should I worry?

>Thanks for any advice,

>Brian

>On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:32:19 -0400, Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET> >wrote:

> [...]

Jonce Fancher

57 Single Cab 66 Sunroof Bug 66 Variant Squareback 71 Sunroof Bus 75 911S Sunroof 84 Vanagon "Godfried" 85 Vanagon Westi 2003 10 Passenger Sprinter

Fancher's Upholstery Inc. - www.fanchers.com Not-A-VW Club- http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransont3/notavwclub/