Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:48:57 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Whole Pop top conversion
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@charter.net>

Westys are great but they are not the be all and end all when it comes to VW vans. My wife and I currently have 3 Vanagons that we use extensively for travel and camping. One is a passenger model with GL rear bed and no middle seat, one is a former passenger model with Westy top and Westy kitchen added but no rear closet or overhead cabinet, and the third is a stock full Westy. The interior of the stock Westy seems crowded in comparison and we bump into things in it until we have been on the road for a couple days at least. It is all a matter of what you get used to and what you are willing to give up. All 3 of our vans have screens, full curtains, and a rear hatch prop open security device. We can travel for a week with ease in any of them, sleeping and cooking inside every day. Camping is a little different matter and then either of the poptop vans is a must for us rather than the passenger model. Camping for us means many daylight hours parked in the same spots we sleep in and often more than one night in the same spot without starting the engine.

As for designing a new layout, I feel that a more front mounted sink/stove kitchen that did not entirely go all the way to the floor would be a better setup for most people most of the time. We have used our Westy fridges for hundreds of nights and can deal with them just fine. However, an ice chest is simpler and more versatile at times. Not having the fridge would allow better positioning of a sink/stove setup for more living area and larger rear bed. Everything has trade offs and I would never remove the fridge from an otherwise stock Westy layout. Starting with a fresh sheet of paper though I would go a different way.

One of the big pluses of a Westy is the quality of the finished product. The camping interior holds up well for many, many years. Most of the home jobs I've seen don't hold up too well and have major flaws that the owner was too shortsighted to prevent. The often expressed desire by some for a removable kitchen is likely to fall into this category, IMHO. Stoves need propane tanks, sinks need somewhere for dirty water to go. I want both those needs to be fulfilled outside of the van with the appliance in the van. Sinks also need somewhere for clean water to come from and power to make it flow. All these things need reliable ways to connect to the kitchen. How that can truly be done with an easily portable unit is beyond me. More than likely the implementation would be so cumbersome that the unit would either be left in all the time or left out all the time. Just like middle seats and even the slick optional Westy single center seats tend to be.

The poptop is a great addition, even without an upper bed. The living space, standing room, and ventilation are just so nice, rain or shine. For a single spry person traveling alone the upper bed is handy at times since you can leave the downstairs in whatever state of disarray you like and still go to bed. For 2 people we find it is too much trouble to use as a bed most of the time. After we pop the top we just put our stuff up there out of the way. What works out best IMHO is a single person upper bed that also leaves standing room for people downstairs. That limits the inside sleeping arrangement to 3 people max but more than that really have to live spartan to travel together in any case. If you have never spent any time living in a full Westy you really can't appreciate how well the upper bed will or won't work for you. If you are the type who needs to get up and pee a time or 2 at night, the upper bed can get old. If any little noise at night awakens or alarms you the upper bed can get old since it picks up outside noise real well. If the inside of your van quickly resembles a tornado ravaged trailer park then having an upper bed you can open and jump into when you stop can be a major relief.

Mark