Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:28:08 -0700
From:         MissVeeDub <vwdreamer@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      T4 Head advice needed - new/used/rebuilt/options
Comments: To: Wet Westies <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>,
          GoodOleVolksWest@yahoogroups.com, Type2 <type2@type2.com>

Hello all - As some of you heard at the Tax Relief campout this last weekend, my mom did not attend due to her van being out of commission ('80 ASI; square port heads)

After her battery exploded (thanks again for all the responses) they were getting ready to test the alternator and the as it was idling it started clacking really bad, only ran as long at it took nick to run up to the front of the van to shut it off - so we believe its a dropped seat (looked down the spark plug hole and kinda looks like a valve seat stuck in between the valve and head (cant really tell if it is the seat or just the end of the valve guide)....haven't done any real physical investigation as this happened at the shop and have been pretty busy this past week, but I need to look at my options for head replacement.

Here are my questions:

1. What would be the best way to confirm that we have a dropped seat without doing any more damage? I am afraid that if i crank it over to do a compression check it will do more damage, break the seat, valve or something else? (yes i know its not as bad as some engines i have seen that have been ran miles and miles after the seat dropped).

2. I am looking at the other possibilities that could cause this (possibly bad lifter? broken spring?) Ideas?

3. Are the 1/2 heads different from the 3/4 heads? i.e. head temp sensor - only on 3/4?

4. Would prefer new head(s) - which brands are available? pros/cons of each? Bus Depot - German Heads - $415 each AMC heads? rebuild valves/seats? Some one on the list with some spare T4 heads they want to sell? Converting to oval port heads?

5. What would be the downfall of having one new head and one used head (even if the used head was in great condition)?

6. Rebuilt heads - opinions? I am thinking that because this engine supposedly had 1500 miles on it when we bought it that they put rebuilt heads on the engine and that is why we are having a problem now - there is probably about 2500 miles on it now.

FYI - I know the T4 engines pretty well - never done a full rebuild but several tear downs, and know the FI really well (converted Betty my '73 to the L-jet when i installed the '83 AC 2.0)

I will be doing some more investigation sometime this week and plan on working on it next week.

Thanks in advance for any info!!!

-- Heather Woltz '71 VW Bus: Riviera Camper - BusZilla: 2007cc Built by Me '71 Datsun 510 Wagon: Custom w/Ford 2.6 '81 Yamaha XS400 Special II http://vw.blue-skywebdesign.com/ -------------------------------------------------------- "Well-behaved women seldom make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich