Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:33:03 +0200
From:         Jens Jakob Andersen <jayjay@ZORCK.DK>
Subject:      Update on Blue Rustagon

Howdy you all

Update here from Denmark.

I went to see another Caravelle today, 85, DF engine. 12 months to next MOT.

The one that had overheated, and gotten a new waterpump.

Went with a buddy (THANK YOU CARSTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Took the train at 0903 from Copenhagen, arrived in Koege at 0958, picked up by Carsten in his very nice Citroen Xsara Picasso.

Went to see the car (some 30 km south of Koege.)

Went over it. Very throughly. Very........

Had brought along my "rust-hammer" - something like http://www.lifehammer.com/

Had tested it yesterday evening on the blue Caravelle, just to get an idea of how hard to blow, and the results. I can tell you, it makes holes in rust, and leaves iron intact. Cant distint fiberglass from metal though.

The Caravelle had so much rust-proofing (Pava/Tectyl/Dinitrol) that I've never seen on any car.

When we pulled the interior panel, there was plenty of Pava, and NO RUST AT THE PANEL AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But then, in some areas, such as the trailing arms, there had been cracks in the Pava, and rust is below. Thats life - sigh.........

But overall, seems like a very sound car. There are seam-rust, and 5 or 6 rustspots at the windows -sigh............... Rusted throug under accelerator pedal, one hole under passenger feet, doorsteps have small rusthole both sides, a bit of rust at the piece of metal holding the seal to the sliding door (rusted away at about 20 centimers). A bit of rust below frontgrill, above bumper. But no rust found at gascap, and at the jack-supports :-)

Wheels a bit out of alignment, tires are worn more on the shoulders. Pulls a bit to the right.

We pulled the plugs, and they all looked nice. Checked oil, a bit of gasoline smell in the oil. Also after a 100 km drive :( But no discolored smoke from exhaust.

Front wheel, passenger side needs new bearing, or adjustment of bearing.When I turn right, something scrapes down there. Need to find out what it is. Rearwheel bearing, passenger side, needs also replacement at some time

Interior, 9 seats - and your basic fake leather benches.

And so far, no dripping at all from engine - wow.

Other goodies; New gastank, new starter, brakes done recently - a very nice alumium radiator (needle doesnt go to middle of gauge, stays 1/4 up i left corner :-) )

And the price was just right :-) - It cost me the same as clutch, rear swingarm, MOT, basic rustwork on the blue one, and change of the upper wishbone bushings in one side would cost for the blue one.

So now the blue vanagon will go the the countryside tostay in a barn, untill I can scrap it.

And learn a lot about how to dismantle a Vanagon - without having to think the whole time that I need to rebuilt it to drive it.

Spare parts going for sale - in local club or on www.ebay.de.

Parts can be sold: DF engine (good one - only 70K km) 4 speed gearbox Rear shocks. Springs all the way around. Tail-lights, frontlights. Doors, sliding door, rear door.

and then I will probably part with my GL seats, 2x3 + 2 front seats.

I am happy with my next Vanagon.

But when we came home this eveing, and I moved the blue one to make room for the orange one, I understood why I bought the blue one - it looks so nice, and drives so good - so yes - I bought it because it looked great, and drives great. Just too bad about the rust.

Happy driving - and thank you very much all for all of your great support.-

Jens Jakob