Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:22:15 -0800
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: [opinion request] headlight Q - HILITE  Superwhite Xe bulbs
              7000K 45W/65W
Comments: To: Chris <superluckyninja@YAHOO.COM>

Chris,

As I am at work I can not access the eBay link right now but on the assumption that it is for bulbs only you will probably not see much difference. The real problem is the US spec. head light lenses, and the poor wiring. Until you fix this bulbs will not improve your visiblity much if at all. One winter I tested several different bulbs in the stock head lights of my 1990 Audi Quattro which suffers from the same malady and found little difference, certainly not enough to justify the money. The only real cure was to upgrade to Euro spec. headlights, I was lucky enough to get the money for this from our insurance company after my wife nudged the rear bumper of a Land Rover with her head lights and grill at a stop sign. :-)

The cheap things that you can do now include pulling your headlights and cleaning them inside and out. Then install relays and new ground connections for each bulb. Option number two includes after market driving lights if your local constabulary allows. After that you are back to replacing the lenses with Euro spec. components which will require new bulb connectors as they do not use 9004 bulbs, the plus side to this is that there are far more bulb wattage choices available for the H4's.

If money is a factor you could follow my wifes example and let the insurance company pay by bumping into something. :-)

Mark in AK - Land of perpetual day or night depending on the season

----- Original Message ----- From: Chris <superluckyninja@YAHOO.COM> Date: Monday, April 17, 2006 2:38 pm Subject: [opinion request] headlight Q - HILITE Superwhite Xe bulbs 7000K 45W/65W To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM