Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:56:47 -0400
From:         robert shawn feller <feller@CARBONCOW.COM>
Subject:      Re: battery-inverter-charger-battery loop
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>

Good points, I just figured you are draining the battery at a considerably high rate going from 12v to 110v through the inverter for this need due to the heat loss at the inverter. Hopefully you have a larger inverter but then again I think the 110v or 12v elements all draw 140 watts or such.

Since you said shore power you most likely have some boating "in you" and may know there are interesting (but often expensive) switch solutions at www.westmarine.com and such. My larger boats power panel has specially designed switches to make sure this scenario you state doesn't happen.

To answer you first post question I can see no reason this would be danger to have an accident loop but obviously not good for the charge. I have killed a few chargers doing stupid things like running a load on a 110v inverter (from 12v) while the battery charger is going. The amp load I placed on the 12v system was greater then the amp output of the charger and thus fried it. This may cause the same in your case.

I would tend to think the inverter thermal protector (or even the inverters) would kick in and protect them from the loop you are describing but I have no real electrical education to confirm your need. Just lots of experience doing the same stuff you are asking on my boats and my westy!

Loved you LED idea on the other post as I have been wanting to due the same when I get the chance.

Shawn Ohio