Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:04:48 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cooling system overhaul?

Tempe is what, two feet from the sun? Kinda like around here, but worse I think. Quite a bit different from NC as you know, but your van hasn't worked that out yet. When it does, the older/weaker parts of the system will go, maybe in a bunch. My van has lived in Cali all its life and I find that some of these hoses age prematurely compared to when I lived in TN. These engines respond poorly to sudden massive coolant loss, of course, and some of the pieces of your coolant system may now be 16 yrs. old. You might search the archives and the bottom of your van for what you can learn about the long plastic coolant lines that run from rear to front and back. If they are like most of ours, they're not in great shape and they aren't going to get better in the dry climate. You can get replacements from the list vendors (even in stainless steel, if you like). This is something I'm going to have to address myself in the near future as I'm tired of the piecemeal approach. I'd start with the radiator and those long lines. If the radiator is clean, fine, if not you can probably have it cleaned or just replace it. I had my local radiator guy look at mine and he didn't like the fact way it was constructed (part of it is plastic, IIRC) but he said he could still service it. Given all that and what Ken said you can compromise and do it all, but in sections so to speak. You say you're not a mechanic but this is fairly simple stuff- doesn't require mechanical skills per se. Be aware that there are a few certain pieces that are prone to problems anyway and for which many folks carry spares- that'll be in the archives as well.

Good luck, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Pry" <moblique@EARTHLINK.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 9:04 AM Subject: Cooling system overhaul?