Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:23:15 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Cooling system overhaul?
Comments: To: Mark Pry <moblique@EARTHLINK.NET>

""After a couple of failures of plastic connectors on my cooling system,""

Well, thats it! plastic! i often say i hate VW but love Westfalia. But, if VW did something good on those vans, it's the flex hoses! on most of them you can just cut the section where the old clamp was (about 1/2 in) and the rest of the hoses should still last for a long time. But it is true that some plastic part (mostly on the 2.1L) are degrading. I can't imagine that heat in AZ.

But remember 1 thing, even if you change everything coolant wise, you may end up with some other kind of mechanical problem. Ex.: Brake master cylinder, slave & clutch master cylinder or torque converter, any FI componants... i think that anyone who drive/buy a westy as to live with that fact, unless you have $1000's to invest on a 15+ year old van.

Let me give you a good exemple: I'm almost ready to leave for Everybus in NC (i'm in Montreal Canada, about 950 miles) in one of the Westy i restored http://www.benplace.com/83westy.htm (customer in Europe, left the van at my home for rest of winter, and he is please that i can do a 2000 miles road test). It's an 83.5, new head and new rings, engine re-seal, FI completely redone, many new parts (Pump, starter, ALT, all senders, some hoses, all new brake including cylinders and many many other NEW or rebuilt part)

So, last week i started to drive the van around and the following happen: Rear shock (not a must but still) and gas cable broke, after, a small coolant leak under the back of the engine, from a metal tube (cyl# 2 TO #4 at pump), it was only the clamp, after, the van was on my "lift" and i was looking at the 2 metal "T" connector that goes to the rear heater (Removed), i put my finger on it and one started leaking... rusted to the bone, replace, after that, i was doing a quick bleeding and the resr bleeder (top of engine on a 1.9 broke, wile trying to repare this one, the lower "nipple" broke also... i change the whole part! ok, so i think i'm ready to go... so the van is pack, i got home... and the brake pedal went to the floor!!!!!!! (everything was replace except for the master cylinder!!! so, this morning i have to change this one.... and that is something i have to live with when i start restoring vans! you strengthen some part of a system, often the rest fail, later or sooner! when i started that van for the fisrt time, the cooling syteme regain normal pressure, so every weak point failed, like the front heater valve, one hose...and last week the other parts i just stated.

I don't want to scare anyone here, but i hope you get the point!!!

I miss my very reliable and trusted 73, hey hey hey

It's a 15-25 year olf van, and it's a VW...

Best regards, Ben http://www.benplace.com/