Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:57:05 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Which O2 sensor wrap-up

Thanks to everyone that responded to my post about which O2 sensor to get. I went to my local FLAPS and got a "universal" sensor made by Bosch, number 13913. It had the FLAPS branding on the box but that 13913 number got me the correct 3-wire sensor that I needed. The new sensor is a 3-wire (two white and one black) and cost $48. I know online vendors sell them for $39 but with shipping and a BURNING NEED to sort the problem in one day or less, I opted to spend the extra $9. Whoopee. The wiring couldn't be simpler---you cut the old connector off your old O2 sensor and attach reconnect the two white wires and the one black wire from the new sensor to the old connector. Done. Since there are two identical white wires I assumed that it didn't matter which went to which. I managed to save 95% of the long rubber boot that was attached to the old sensor to protect the new connections. I soldered the three wires and used some heat shrink tubing over each wire and also over all three wires together. The old aforementioned boot slid over the whole thing nicely. I may add a little silicone at each end of the boot to seal it up just for fun. My old sensor was less than a year old but was still a bear to get out. There's really not much room to get a large adjustable wrench in there and a small wrench doesn't give you much leverage. The official O2 sensor wrench would be great because its like a box end wrench with a slit in it so you can pass the wires through. I took my CAT off to have a look at it so that made taking the sensor out much easier. Once I got it all connected up, I fired up the van and it runs great. No stuttering, missing, etc and more power overall. I still have a high idle (1100 rpm) but that's another story and another day...

Jeff