Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:53:16 -0700
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: My Brakes are Frozen
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net>

Yep, the solution was the 3 B's. Beer, Bentley and a Big hammer! Took the right rear wheel off and gave the drum a few gentle whacks (didn't want to crack the drum!) and after 3 or 4 taps the shoes broke free.

I feel much better now that the Syncro is good to go again. It is my daily driver now. Thanks to Dennis for the fast response and thinking on the same plane (the big hammer plane). Gotta love this Vanagon group!

By the way, the frozen brake syndrome has happened on my 84 Westy as well. Both Vanagons have good brakes and the 84 was redone last year, so I know it is not anything more than moisture getting in there and rusting the shoes to the drum. I live in a damp canyon and if I drive thru a puddle with cold brakes and then go to park the van it will sometimes freeze if not driven often. My neighbors old V4 Saab froze the clutch the same way. I told him that we should fire it up with clutch engaged and then drive up a hill in first gear. Told him to floor it then hit the brakes, floor it again. On the 3rd or 4th try it broke loose and he was amazed! You should have seen that old Saab jerking up that hill! The neighbors must have thought we were such idiots! Needless to say, I was having a really good laugh while this was going on.

Keith O. 90 Westy Syncro 84 Westy "Brownie" SOLD!