Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:19:49 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Silver 88 Wolfsburg with the coolant issue on the highway
              today...
Comments: To: robertmstewart <robertmstewart@mac.com>

A hose failure of that type is indicative of an overpressure condition. Make sure the coolant system is working properly and inspect for other hoses that are stretched. Replace the pressure relief cap. Keep on eye out for internal head gasket problems.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: robertmstewart [mailto:robertmstewart@mac.com] Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 12:41 AM To: Dennis Haynes; Vanagon List Serv Subject: Re: Silver 88 Wolfsburg with the coolant issue on the highway today...

Well,

This morning I took a look at the Van's engine bay and looked at all the hoses. I then noticed dried coolant that leaked out from the day before right below one of the large hoses to left of the engine.

I started feeling around and sure enough I noticed this large hose was very close to transmission and there was a small section that felt like it was covered with oils and grime, and under that layer it felt really, really thin, as if it were worn or stretched out.

I begin to feel that area and sure enough I found a crack that ran about 1 inch long and I could literally press my finger right into the hose!

I went to the Vanagain.com website and looked up the hose as well as the entire hose map and started to look for any other offending hoses, I could only find the one but decided to bring it to my VW guys for them to review.

They too agreed on the hose and would give it a thorough review.

Thanks to every one for their feedback.

-- Rob NYC/Long Beach, NY 88 Wolfsburg, Silver