Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:38:55 -0400
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: daily digests...better alternatives
Comments: To: Ian Cooley <ianrcooley@GMAIL.COM>

Digests from lists that have this much mail seldom get read and are a PITA to me. Are you going to read one long email to perhaps find the things of interest to you? Probably not. That is what happened when I had digest on lists that generated more 10 messages per day.

What I suggest that you do instead is to set up a folder in your inbox for "Vanagon lists." (Plural in case you ever join more, or singular if you wish.) Then you create a filter that will direct all mail from a sender name that contains "vanagon" into that folder. Then the Vanagon.com mail will be in one place where you can skim over the titles for what you want to read and it will not be clogging your inbox. After doing this for a while and seeing how convenient it is, you will probably want to set up lots of specific folders and direct much of your mail to those folders using filters.

Another alternative that many people are using successfully is to set up a gmail account and send all the mail there. I'll get around to trying this sometime soon also, but from what I have read I think I'll probably continue the way I am going now. I use Mozilla's Thunderbird for my email program.

I have about 20 folder and use filters to direct all of the mail from about 30 lists into one of those folders.

Sam

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL, Zetec Inside 85 Westy Weekender 85 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbodiesel - to become veggie oil powered

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.