Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:49:18 EDT
From:         Eric Levine <ELevine3035@AOL.COM>
Subject:      1984 Vanagon GL H2O

This is my first posting to the list. I just bought an 84 vanagon. I have lots of questions. I used to have a 1975 Combi Van in Mexico. I had it for 2 years and sold it in 1999 when I moved back to the US. I was looking for a VW bus. After checking out 2 vans with considerable rust, I found this brown one which is very nice. Obviously, it has been shown much care and has been garaged. I see that the vanagon is a little different from my 1975 white combi one in Mexico. The one in Mexico was not a walk-thru and had the full bench seat up front. So far it seems pretty reliable. The woman I bought it from said that everything was fine except for a transmission leak. I've been checking the fluid and have added only a half quart in the past 18 days since I bought the van. The fluid was an inch over the full line when I first checked it so she must have overfilled it before she sold it to me. The van came with The Official Factory Repair Manual-1980-1991; this book has alot of good information. The woman I bought the van from had it for a few months. She bought it from a guy, I'm not sure if he was the original owner. This is what his for sale ad said: clear title drives great starts every time doesn't use oil or water don't have to add oil between oil changes all lights work no ac good dual heat automatic can haul anything new front tires front rotors front brake pads calipers and hoses upper and lower ball joints all exhaust pipes in 2003 rebuilt trans in 1999 installed pioneer stereo 4X50 watt 4 new speakers repair manual all receipts She also put in a new battery and all new hoses.

These are my questions: 1. How do I know if the van rests too high (it's not a syncro) and is this a problem? 2. It's missing the passenger side rear view mirror. I've seen them on bus depot. When I install it, do I need to remove the door panel or can I just screw it on? Where can I get a mirror for a better price than bus depot (shipping etc.)? 3. They sell a convex mirror, is it best to buy the regular one and get the blind spot mirrors? Which blind spot mirrors are best? 4. I added some coolant to the main tank and the reserve. How do I know that the cooling system has no leaks? 5. Do I need to use special coolant? I've heard that the orange one has good anti-corrosive properties; what is the name of the orange one? Does it come in 50/50 ready to use; I'm in Florida (tropical climate), do I need a special mix? If I decide to use the orange stuff, how do I drain the old coolant and put the orange stuff in; do I need to drain it? 6. The gauge on top of the clock/fuel gauge, I think it's the coolant level gauge or temp gauge; it registers zero most of the time, then every 5 minutes or so at random, the red light blinks while the pointer goes from zero to max then back down again; is the gauge malfunctioning? 7. I have a plastic main tank for the coolant/anti-freeze, I've noticed a surface crack in the plastic near the sensor wires that go into the top of the tank; I'm not sure if the crack is just cosmetic or if air/water vapor can escape; I've also noticed fluid collection around the sensor wires that go into the top of the tank; not sure if that water comes from the crack; do I need to patch the tank? Does this relate to my coolant level gauge problem? 8. The guy had a platform built in the back with a foam bed on top. The bed is over the engine and extends over a built in storage chest with velcro. In the middle is carpet, no seats. Under the foam bed is a piece of carpet. The carpet is old and sheds plastic "dirt". Do I need to replace the carpet under the bed? What is best to replace it with? What should I use to protect the foam bed? What is good to use to put over the carpet for protection when walking around the center of the vanagon? Never say van, always vanagon, right? 9. Do I need to undercoat the van? I live 3 blocks from the beach; is a fresh water wash once a week enough? The vanagon came from the Orlando area, which is not close to the beach, so this is the first time the van will be exposed to ocean air. 10. The woman said the van would sometimes have trouble starting and that the starter may need to be replaced. After starting it 40 times in one day, she said she had to let it cool down then it would start. I have not encountered any starting problems so far. How do I know if it needs a new starter? How do I know if my starting sounds and quality are up to par? 11. When checking the transmission fluid, I run the van and heat it up, 6 miles, etc. Then I put it in neutral and check the fluid, right? Of course, by mistake one time I forgot to take the parking brake off and drove with the parking brake engaged. Now the parking brake works but you have to pull it all the way up. I'm not sure if you had to pull it all the way up before I drove with it on. Did I mess up the parking brake by driving with it on? Do I need to re-adjust the parking brake? I learned the hard way on that one. Also did the 6'8" clearance in the indoor parking garage already! Luckily I only got some surface scratches on the roof; hope they don't rust. 12. One of the sliding windows had trouble locking. The rubber molding close to the unlocking mechanism was folded in and obstructing the closure of the window. I just lift and push the window and it locks. Should I glue down the molding and how do I repair this? Also, lots of rubber molding need to be glued down. Around the engine seal under the hood some of the molding is flapping. Around the rear door by the lock, etc. 13. I've noticed that when driving hot air comes out by my feet. How do I adjust the AC? Is it good to blow hot air off the engine with the vents to aid engine cooling? Should I redirect some vents? I probably wont need much heat in south Florida in summertime. 14. What should I keep my tire pressure at? Tires are: Firestone FR380 P205/75R14 TLWS PS? Inside the door says 36 front 48 back but my Firestone have a 44 max PSI. Also these tires are not the same as the "standard/recommended" tire size on the inside of the door. 15. I got seat covers, they fit but the arm rests stick out over the covers. Is it best to cut holes in the covers; remove and replace the arm rests; or just let the covers stretch around the arm rests? I really like the graphic on the seat covers, it's called Aztec and has a Mayan guy decorating the cover. 16. How do I lubricate the sliding door? I had door problems with my 1975 Combi van, so I'm sensitive to these doors. What is the correct way to open and close? Do I need to use both hands, etc.? What is the right motion? What is best to use to lubricate the doors? Do I need to wipe out any grime before lubricating? 17. Do I use regular 87, mid-grade 89 or super 93 octane in my vanagon? I put a tank of super in when I first bought it, now I use 89, is this okay? 18. She gave me lots of parts with the van, such as a fuel filter, some wires, lots of window roll down handles, spark plugs, a belt, assorted fuses, fuel additive, transmission fluid galore, two funnels, two buckets, a drink holder/cd/change holder, etc. What should I do with all this stuff? 19. Do I need to check the radiator in the front of the van? 20. What is the best way to hang surfboards from the ceiling in the inside of the van? 21. There is no front license plate holder. If I want to install a decorative front plate, do I need a front license plate holder? Do I just screw it into the existing holes without a holder? The holes look very small with a clear plastic inside, are these stock? There are also larger holes, are these for the holder that I'm missing? Should I just scrap the front license plate idea, it's just for looks anyway? Florida only requires a rear license plate. 22. My other vehicle is a 1995 Honda del sol, the vanagon is much better for surf trips and for transporting my bicycles. I can get three surfboards on top of my del sol, but it takes alot of time to strap them on safely and then remove them. Any ideas about how to make the vanagon better equipped to be my surf mobile?

Thanks.

Eric