Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Apr 2006 04:47:00 -0700
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gas price war / costs of road trips

Now only if more Citys were " bike freindly " i would be riding Las Vegas everywhere, only using a car when really needed, but the system is build around autos for transport. They want us to fill up..

I did ride here as normal commute and what i felt was a total lack of respect for anything not as fast as a car? all temps i rode in, even 120 F that was a risk, but i was smart about it as much as i could be. felt like i was living in the depts of hell.. hehe feet on fire, body/mind adjusting to suffering but better then a bus. 4hrs? vs 1.5hrs.

Joe

-----Original Message----- >From: River Clan <ri@RIVERCLAN.ORG> >Sent: Apr 20, 2006 11:00 PM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: Gas price war / costs of road trips > >I have gotten a kick working with biodiesel over the years, and the >wide belief that making your own is cheap, easy, or even really >possible on a long term basis. > >Biodiesel is created with methanol and lye, and without energy >intensive processes of reclamation, all that nasty ends up in your >glycerine. Then, your glycerine ends up in a barrel. What to do with >it? People everywhere are trying to come up with ways to burn it, >compost it, etc. There isn't a good solution yet at an individual level. > >I know a bio producer in my hometown that must have 45 barrels >sitting around their garage with their bad batches, glycerines, lye, >etc. If this is environmental, please explain it to me. > >Being a biodiesel advocate for 3 years now, driving over 80k miles on >biodiesel... we found the real solution is having a large batch plant >in your community that can handle the additional energy use of >reclamation, washing and astm certification. > >Personally, I question who is going to ship the vegetable oil to the >restaurant, and where the methanol will come from if we are without >petroleum. > >We did a 32 mile bike ride today, just to get ready. ; ) > >Cheers, > >Ri > >http://www.greaseworks.org >http://www.riverclan.org >http://www.sqbiofuels.com > > > > >On Apr 20, 2006, at 6:48 PM, Robert Fisher wrote: > >> The adaptations required to rid ourselves of our oil habit, at >> least as >> individuals under current circumstances don't have much to do with the >> matter at hand unless you just decide to forgo the trip entirely. >> I'm not >> aware of any practical way to take the family camping on a bicycle. >> I can't even really take my daughter to school on a bicycle and >> that commute >> alone is costing us about $220 a month. Nobody out here to carpool >> with >> either. Needless to say everything else we do in town revolves >> around the >> trips to the school. >> >> I've been thinking every day about resurrecting that old Rabbit >> diesel... or >> if it might be cheaper to find a runner instead, perhaps use mine >> for parts >> or combine them. I don't know what driving that stick would do to >> my knees >> (I had to fold up pretty tight to drive that thing, even in the >> day) and I'd >> have to teach my wife to drive a stick (which she should learn >> anyway), but >> it would worth it at this point 'cause it would give us a ton of >> relief in >> fuel costs. Most of our mileage at this point results from trips >> that only >> involve one or members of the family at a time, so the Rabbit would >> be fine >> for that- after all, it is mostly flat around here. : ) >> >> Along with that, most of my customers are restaurants and >> supermarkets. I >> can get all the veggie oil I can stand- I've already talked to some >> of them >> about it. Taking that line further, part of my equipment runs on >> diesel. If >> I were able to obtain a diesel truck and convert my rig engine over >> to a >> diesel (both things that I'd like to do anyway), I could be >> independent of >> the oil-fuel process in the two main areas of my personal comsumption. >> >> All it takes is money, right? Contrasted with the savings over the >> years, >> assuming my supply held out from future competition for it, even a >> heavy >> startup cost would be fairly quickly offset, but- you have to the >> cash in >> the first place and one of the ironys there is that these gas >> prices have >> tightened up an already lackluster local economy and have eaten >> into my >> profits. What I'm doing now is looking at any and all second-hand >> equipment >> around here that I might be able use and trying to make some kind >> of a deal- >> sometimes I barter my services (no, I don't do kneecaps) or hire >> out for >> things other than my normal business. >> >> Who knows? If I can pull this off maybe I can save enough money for >> a TDI >> conversion someday... then I could be off the teat entirely. >> >> Cya, >> Robert >>