Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:39:32 -0700
From:         Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@CYBERTRAILS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1984 Vanagon GL H2O

Eric Levine wrote:

>This is my first posting to the list. I just bought an 84 vanagon. I have >lots of questions... >

I guess you do -- who wouldn't under the circumstances? Assuming you'd rather surf the ocean than the achives I'll comment on what I think is most critical... that crack in the expansion tank leading to coolant puddled around the coolant level sensor leading to the erratic gauge behavior. I would replace that tank with a new one -- they are not immortal and when they fail the cooling system does not work well. The coolant I use is the commonly available 'Sierra' brand -- you do not want anything with phosphates in it. Once you're to that point investigate the archives for some of the voodoo folks use to bleed all the air out of the cooling system.

If 2 of those window cranks are chocolately brown and in decent shape I would happily trade you a used flat passenger side mirror for them -- though you may prefer the convex variety.

When you get to the archives look for the 'hot start fix' using a simple Bosch relay -- this often cures starting problems.

I think you will also be happier with new tires -- light truck tires are the thing, couple of brands still have them. Again the archives or go to the BusDepot.

Geo Hahn

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.4.5/321 - Release Date: 4/21/2006