Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:10:22 -0600
From:         Tom Boldway <jboldway@COMCAST.NET>

Ken Wrote: Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:52:13 -0400 From: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> Subject: Why buy when you can rent?

Let's face it, most of us buy Vanagon Westies with the strange idea that = we are going to use it all of the time. Instead it either sits in the = garage for most of the year, or we drive it back and forth to work but don't = use the camping equipment. <Snip>

Tom replies: When I lived in Kansas I "used" my Westy every weekend! Friday after work - headed out to camping, back Sunday Evening or Monday morning. And, on some days after work I had my Kayak waiting INSIDE my vanagon - ready for me to get out of work, hop in the panzerkampingwagen and head out to the lake. However, as they say in Real Estate - Location, Location, Location. My job moved me to philthadelphia and after 6 months of trying to "use" my Westy to no avail I sold it. Drove it up to Valley Forge a lot - really lovely area, but no cheap and easy camping nearby. Was nice to pop the top and relax after a long bike ride or such, however. So, you are correct for some people that are best just renting, but others - even if only use them for camping infrequently - actually enjoy tinkering on them. Ownership kind of gives you the "well 'I could' just hop in and hit the road" - kind of a sense of "possible" freedom in what's left of our "free" world.

Tom <P.S. - "sits INSIDE the garage" ???? You've got some big garage door! ;~) >