Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:34:03 -0700
From:         David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon or Dodge Ram Conversion Van (longish)!

I own both a 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon and a 1990 Dodge Ram Conversion van. I bought the Vanagon in New York in 1999 and drove it cross-country to Phoenix, AZ where I now live. It has proven a very versatile vehicle, I have hauled furniture and bicycles inside it many times. It was the primary 'moving' van when I switched apartments. I love the driving position, the great turning circle and the roominess. My kids love the dining table; we ear our packed lunch in it every time we go to a park. It does have a certain semtimental value. The problems? (1) The a/c does not work and in Arizona that is a real problem as in the summer the temperature is over a hundred degrees for many months. It is a Freon system and was newly charged (cost $450 at VW dealer) by the former owner just before I purchased it. It cooled ok for about a year or so but now not at all. Right now I can barely use the van at all in the summer. (2) The standard 2.1L engine which was completely rebuilt (new heads) just before I bought it now (10,000 miles later) drips fluid. (3) I'm also nervous about the cooling system. I have fixed one major and one small leak so far. (4) One power-window has ceased to function and is now permanently open. (5) The van has two major bodywork scrapes, to the rear of the sliding door and on the front drivers side corner.

As for the Dodge Van, it's a rock solid van with a huge V8 engine (390ci). Amazingly it gets about the same gas mileage as the Vanagon. It has a plush interior with two front seats, two middle seats and a rear bench which converts to a bed (at least will when I can figure it out). The two middle seats are removable but its not as versatile as the Vanagon jump-seat arrangement. The double side doors open outward on hinges, not as good as the Vanagon sliding door. The a/c was converted to R134 (cost ($850) no longer works but I'm hoping it just needs a recharge. The body and interior is excellent. Compared to the Vanagon it's a lumbering truck-like beast but you do get used to it and for long freeway journeys it's great. My kids love it. The turning circle sucks though, its difficult to make a u-turn anywhere.

My quandary is that in my present fiancial state I can only justify keeping one van. I also can't justify major repairs or refurbishments on a vehicle I will not use much. Its primary use will be as a weekend vehicle and for summer trips to surrounding states. If I keep the Vanagon, the a/c must be converted to R134 and repaired but I don't want to end up with a money-pit that will cost a lot of money to maintain (I only do very limited easy-fix type repairs myself.)

Any and all advice appreciated. Sorry this was so long.

David