Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:17:31 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC convert

> > The refrigerant police may not go after individuals but they do show up > in auto shops. They will even bring in trick cars and try to get a shop > to do cheapie conversions to catch them. >

This is probably the salient point. No one who doesn't already deal with EPA regulation and depend on a license to do their job (e.g. a shop that services AC systems) has anything to really worry about. We schmoes have no relevant permits to suspend of revoke, which is essentially the premise under which such shops are policed. And while it's illegal in some states to operate a vehicle with hydrocarbon refrigerant, there's really no way for them to find out. While it is flammable, the danger is pretty minimal. Compared to the 16 gallon molotov under the belly, a couple pounds of quickly dispersed gaseous butane is nothing. Hydrocarbon refrigerant is already used in Holland, France, Germany, Denmark, England, Australia, Canada, China, Indonesia, and India. Not a single fire has ever been reported in connection with a hydrocarbon refrigeration system. Besides, in a fire situation a few seconds of gaseous fuel added to the fire is arguably less dangerous than the combustion products of either R-12 (phosgene gas) or R-134a (hydrogen fluoride gas). Given that an accident resulting in a leak will cause all evidence of ANY refrigerant to quickly vanish, I seriously doubt an insurance adjustor could credibly show that there was anything at all in the system, much less a "prohibited refrigerant"-- unless maybe you're so foolish as to admit it, or leave the empty duracool cans rolling around in back. Personally, I think the anti-hydrocarbon refrigerant position is based purely on legislative ignorance that automatically equates "flammable" with "dangerous", with the "patented refrigerant lobby" perhaps fanning the flames, so to speak.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger"