Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:20:17 -0600
From:         William Manley <william.manley@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      tire and wheel report: Nokian Hakka CS and CV-900 16" alloys

Dear Volks:

I write to provide a tire and wheel review: Nokian Hakka CS tires and CV-900 16" alloys (on a '91 syncro westy). Bottom line: they're great!

I previously had the stock-option 14" alloys with 27 x 8.5 R14 BFG TA tires (with a diameter of 26.6", somewhat larger than stock approx. 25.5"). This set up was good, especially for off-road, but I wanted something that would be better for the interstate and mountain paved roads -- better handling and easier driving for the 3 to 6 hours or more it takes to get me to dirt roads and occasional four wheeling of choice. Additional pluses: grip on snow and ice, and less sway in high winds.

After researching the issue for months, I decided to go for it, and got the "Derek Drew" wheels and the Nokian 205/65 R16 Hakkapeliitta CS tires (with diameter of 26.5"). See: <http://users.rcn.com/derekdrew/vanagon/All_About_16-Wheels_And_The_CV_900.htm> <http://www.nokiantires.com/> The wheels are nice and light, with appropriate specs (ET, rim width, bolt pattern, etc.) to be "bolt-on". The tires are "all purpose" van tires, and are very strong (2150 lbs -- appropriate for heavy westies), good on snow but can be used year-round with good wear supposedly. This set up is not exactly cheap.

I was preparing myself for possible subtlety with the switch. But I really noticed improvements! The van is definitely easier to drive: more stable, better handling, easier to turn and corner. Though I can still feel strong winds pushing it sideways, the van seems to sway or "wallow" less. Noticeably quieter, and "smoother" overall. No loss of clearance, with nearly the same overall diameter as before (the Nokian's are about 1/4" larger diameter as measured from the van height). I'll be able to put on bigger brakes at some point. They look great. Plus, the spare fits in the stock clamshell (this is pretty much the biggest tire you can put in there). I've had the combo now for 5000 miles.

BTW, with these directional tires, I decided to go with some advice from folks to have the spare mounted same as the driver's side, and thus rotate three on the left side and two on the right, which makes some sense given the heavier load on the left. I might remount left to right at some point.

One thing I hadn't expected: there seems to be less rolling resistance, such that it moves more "smoothly" now, with a perhaps 10% increase in apparent power. This doesn't make total sense inasmuch as apparent "power" should relate mostly to tire diameter. But in this case there seems to be something to the tread and tire design, or wheel design.

I might have lost a tad bit of off-road capability, with the switch from all terrain tires to snow and all-around good tires. But it still seems plenty capable with 4WD, and clearance is the main issue for me anyway. I'm convinced now that it was the right decision for me. BTW, there are sizes for 14" and 15" rims that should be good too.

Cheers, Bill Boulder, CO '91 Syncro Westy w/ 2.5 Subie engine