Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Apr 2006 04:19:30 -0400
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coolant line complications - early vs. late vanagons.
Comments: To: Ian Cooley <ianrcooley@GMAIL.COM>

Ian,

The early vans, 83.5 - 85 w the 1.9l WBX have a pair of steel pipes about 1 1/2 inches in diameter that encompass most of the run from the engine to the radiator and back. The later vans, 86 - 91 w 2.1l WBX, have a set of plastic pipes with a metal sleeve at each end making this run.

The metal pipes tend to rust out over many years. It is getting hard to find replacement pipes for these but on the other hand, I have an extra set that is almost new in my garage and I have a relatively new set in my 85 Weekender. If the pipes are not already loaded with rust, really if they have little rust, then they are good for a few years, no matter how many miles you drive. If they were to fail you and you couldn't find replacements, they can be replaced by marine heater hose. List archives and my hard drive have rough instructions on how to do this. Not a complex repair, easier than replacing the steel pipes because they bend and you can do the job without dropping the gas tank.

I have never heard of any insulating the coolant pipes in foam or sheathing the already metal pipes in metal. If one was to insulate the pipes you would have to make sure it was done in a way that was not going to trap moisture inside the insulation.

A former list member, banned because of unacceptable behavior makes stainless steel replacements for rather big bucks. The areas on the steel pipes that rusts out is usually the ends near the engine. This guy also makes a set of replacements for just the near to engine end.

You must crawl up under both of these vans and any other you are considering. You need to look at parts like these, look for signs of leakage, etc.

When the later ones fail, it is because the metal insert in the plastic pipe comes loose and the pressure from the clamp cracks the pipe. There are a few fixes for the loose metal insert if it is caught early enough. When the cracking get pretty bad, the pipe or pipes must be replaced. Originals are not quite as hard to find, and I have an extra set. These long pipes can also be replaced with marine heater hose.

To write a comparison of the 1.9l 83.5 - 85's with the 2.ll 86-91's could take a few days. They are both very viable platforms if they have been well maintained or if you get a reasonable price on one that needs some work, but not a new engine or tranny. I have driven about 210k miles between the two 1.9l powered vans I have owned. If I could fix a few problems with my 85, I would be willing to set off on the trip you are planning given the proper tools and a few replacement parts on board, and, a laptop so I could have access to the hundreds of files I have saved about Vanagon repair. Of course, I would rather take the trip in my Syncro with the new conversion.

There were different options packages in each year. As the vans move toward the later years, nicer options were available. But the key for you is to compare the two vehicles.

An 89 with a good body and interior, lots of extras but a weak engine or tranny is not nearly as good a deal for you as a rather basic 84 or 85 with a medium body and interior, fewer options, but with a solid engine and transmission. 85's are a good year as VW started putting in some of the changes that would be fully implemented with the change to the 2.1l engine in 86.

The coolant system is one of the systems with which you will have to become rather educated before setting off for a long trip like this. Lots of things about it aren't too terrible to fix and maintain. You just have to know how and have some written material with you. Of course it is very obvious that this system will have to get a very thorough inspection and preventive maintenance before you head out.

Sam

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL, Zetec Inside 85 Westy Weekender 85 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbodiesel - to become veggie oil powered

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.