Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:51:42 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: sliding door screens
Comments: cc: robert shawn feller <feller@CARBONCOW.COM>

> Was this a factory screen item with all vanagon westies? > > I don't have my westy at home right now.are their existing > snaps inside the van door or will I need to install them? > > Does it hang down at the bottom and touch the floor or will > every bug in the world simply go under the bottom?

To my knowledge a side screen was never offered in the U.S. at all, but was an option in Germany. Some time ago I scored an N.O.S. one on a trip to Germany (which I now use in my own Westy), and the repro's we sell are exact copies of that original, warts and all.

What I mean is that this is one of the few things that the Westfalia engineers did not design perfectly, IMHO. The fit is good, but not exceptional. They put a few of the snaps in odd locations (in my opinion), and there are a couple of small gaps where a bug could find its way in. (The bottom hangs pretty low so it's difficult for bugs to get under the screen.) In that regard it's kind of like a side tent; the connection between the side tent and van is not hermetically sealed, but it's good enough to keep the vast majority of bugs out. Someday when I have time (yeah, right :-) I'd like to make some design mods - this is one of the few things I think I could design better than the good people at Westfalia did - but even as it is, it works well enough that I make good use of mine.

I should also mention that the original (and hence the repro) ws designed for vans with the later ('85-up air) style ducting above the sliding door, so it will fit better on those than on earlier ones. Also, it was designed for Westfalias, and while it will work on non-Westies, again the fit is not quite as good.

Even if not perfect, the screen is a worthwhile thing to have, as it really improves ventilation inside the van when camping. The screen has a zipper in the center for getting in and out without unsnapping it, and comes with the snaps for installing it. If you click on the Gray link below, you can see how one looks installed on the van (albeit not detailed enough to show the snap locations).

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=255413 (Gray)

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=253603 (Brown)

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT