Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:23:33 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant line complications - early vs. late vanagons.
Comments: To: Ian Cooley <ianrcooley@GMAIL.COM>

The problem with the earliest water-cooled vanagons was that the coolant lines were metal (so they rust through). The later vans (I believe mid-85 onward) had plastic lines (which can still crack, but don't rust through). The plastic lines are the same part whether the van has a 1.9 or 2.1 liter engine.

Many of the earlier vans have had the coolant pipes retrofitted to the later plastic lines, so the thing to do is crawl under and see. If the plastic lines are already there on the early van, you can eliminate *that* issue from your choice.

At 10:41 PM 4/24/2006 -0700, Ian Cooley wrote: >So, I find myself in a bit of a pickle. I'm currently looking at what >appears to be two veery well maintained vanagons, one '84 and the other an >'87. By going for the '84, I would be saving myself about $2000. The only >thing staying my hand, however, is an impression I've been given of the >earlier models. > > From what I have been told, these vans (the '81-'85, I believe...those w/ a >1.9L?) are consistently plagued by problems with the lines running coolant >or water from the radiator in the front to the engine in back. These lines, >if I understand it correctly, are prone to cracks and leaks. On the other >hand, a friend assures me this problem is easily solved by simply protecting >these lines...i.e., insulating them in foam or sheathing them in metal, >etc. If anybody has any information concerning this problem specifically, >or any other advantage of the later models over the earlier for that matter >(or, conversely, shortcomings of the earlier over the later), please feel >free to pmail me at ianrcooley@gmail.com . This car has to make it as many >as 30,000 miles, so such issues are of grave concern to me and any help is >greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! > >-- >Scientists warn that traveling through space-time by means of a cosmic >wormhole may be extremely dangerous.