Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:49:22 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Fridge, Transmission Drain Plug & Calendar of  Events
Comments: To: Adam Butler <mad-man@AUSTIN.RR.COM>

On 25 Apr 2006 at 9:14, Adam Butler <mad-man@AUSTIN.RR.COM> wrote:

> I have a 88 Westy, standard and I don't believe in fact I know the gear oil has > never been checked or changed. I know this b/c the fill and drain bolts are what > looks like rusted to the casing. I purchased a bottle of "S' Ok" from Vans > Automotive and it is okay. Exactly like it sounds. I also have the Empi 17mm > transmission drain socket. Man this is a stubborn %&#*@.

My '88 was like this when I got, and I destroyed the fill plug getting it out. Drop the shifter (two bolts through casting tab in trans to flat plate holding shift rod) as this will make it easier to reach fill plug. Remove filler *first* - if you drain oil and can't remove fill plug, then you're stuck. And if don't already know, Redline MT90 is the *only* oil to use. I've tried both Amsoil GL-4 oils and they don't come close.

> > > On another note I have pulled the fridge to install my new fan hoping this > would help any pointers or references I should check such as WebPages or > articles. I would like to give I a once over before I put it in. Do these > ever need any type of charging? I flipped it on its side in the house and it > started dripping something, didn't have any type of odor possibly water?

Probably water. I've been told these fridges should not be tipped for any length of time, but don't know this for certain.

While you have the fridge out, you may want to consider removing the cabinets to check for & treat any rust back there. I just did this on mine on the weekend, and treated everything with POR-15. The through floor fittings for water & propane are also sources of rust, not just the through side fittings. It took me about 1 hour to pull the sink, water tank and rear seat cabinets. The trickiest part is feeding the propane lines through the hole in the cabinet bottom - two people would be nice here. Remove the lines from the regulator to allow for moving them around, or just pull them right out by unbolting the floor plate. Usual caution applies with propane - close valve tightly, burn off gas at stove before unbolting lines, then check with soap for leaks after you're done.

Shawn Wright http://members.shaw.ca/vwdiesels '88 Westy 1.6TD 5 speed '82 Diesel Westy 1.6NA '85 Jetta Diesel 1.6NA