Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:12:22 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: The Thing About Shop Time (Long But Good)
Comments: To: Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>

I agree with what Bruce said and wanted to add my two cents as a mechanic that specializes in Vanagons. I don't go by book time. I have usually done the job many times and know what my actual time doing it is. So I give the customers an estimate based on my experience of what the time will be if I don't run into any major snags. Usually if I run into a minor snag and it takes an hour or two longer I'll stick to my estimate to cut the customer a break because my ultimate goal is to make sure their van is running well and safe and to also make them happy. Sometimes people complain that my estimate of time is much higher than book time that someone has quoted to them over the phone. However this person has probably never done this job so they are just quoting from a book. This could be why most mechanics don't like to work on Vanagons since the book says it takes something like 5 hours to replace the head gaskets on a Vanagon. It takes me more like 10-15 hours, however I know that the exhaust studs could break off, case is going to be pitted and need to be repaired and that the tops of the cylinders are going to need to be cleaned out, etc. I take my time and that is why my head jobs never come back and the other shops do head jobs over and over and say "Oh, those waterboxers are just junk."

One point I wanted to bring out was drawing the line. As Bruce said these are older vehicles now. Where do you draw the line? Where do you stop looking for problems? I have customers bring their vans here all of the time and want me to replace the engine or transmission or water pump, etc. They say, "Check the van out, see if there is anything else it needs and let me know." Where do you stop? I see original coolant hoses, but they look good. I see plastic coolant components that look fine. However these parts are over 15 years old. What looks good on the outside could be the popping apart next week. It can be tricky, but I try to strike a balance. If I feel a customer is saying, "Check it out and let me know." but really means, "I want this done but I'm not going to spend any more than I have to." then I look it over, but I don't go down every trail, and kick every bush on the way by. You can't. It would move the van out of the realm of reasonable ownership for that person and that is what they are looking for in that van. Another customer who feels that reliability is the ultimate goal, and is willing to spend the money, yes I will go down all the trails and kick every bush and chase every rabbit that jumps out at me, because that is what they want. My point is, you should think about your philosophy of Vanagon ownership. Most people are not one extreme or the other. They are somewhere in the middle between absolute reliability (new cars don't have this) and cost of ownership. I try to walk that tightrope for them every day.

Thankfully, it usually works out so that they are happy and I am happy. I am blessed to deal with Vanagon owners. They are some of the nicest people you can deal with in the mechanical world. I appreciate your attention. I hope my ramblings help you understand what goes on inside the mind of your mechanic.

Sincerely, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com