Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:50:59 -0400
From:         -------------------- <VW4X4@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      More Energy Saving (driving)
Comments: To: monte merrick <montemerrick@SPEAKEASY.NET>

There are all types of things that one can do with driving. Some are dangerous, some are illegal, so keep this in mind. BRAKES: Brakes waste fuel! First every time you use your brakes, you now have wasted the energy used, that got the vehicle moving. So no brakes or as little as possible. This means, every time you see a red light up ahead, you must not accellerate begond just enough to get to the light. In my neck of the woods, this works about 50% of the time. There are many places where you can't see the light until its to late, and you have to brake. Stop signs are the same thing. Many stop signs are place right at the bottom of hills, and there is little you can do but run the stop sign. At least with a light you have a chance of getting it green and can keep you momentum going. Brakes are also use WAY to much around bends. Learn how to NEVER brake around bends. This is mainly going to be limited to your vehicles traction. Very very few cars flip over. Wet or slippery roads are your only reason for braking around bends, but everyone does it. Again in my neck of the woods, about 50% of the time, there is other traffic in front of you and they slow down around bends. The best you can do is leave enough distance so that going into a bend that they are slowing for, you catch up to them. Simple: drive, pretending you did not have any brakes. Lots to be said but I'm out of time JOE W.