Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:17:08 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: More Energy Saving (driving)

I don't recall my dad ever having a clutch done on his cars. And the only engine problem we had was on the 1968 bus (1500 engine), which burnt its valves. My brother rebuilt it and drove it to Denver (and burnt the valves getting there.) He rebuilt it again (as a 1600) and it lasted for 20 more years before it was converted to a 2 liter. It was sold to a friend and we kept track of it until 1998, when that guy finally sold it.

Which departs from the original. My dad drove VWs until the service locally declined then he switched to Toyotas until their service declined. Then Subarus and he moved to Florida. He's back with Toyotas again (Prius) as Subaru doesn't have a hybrid. With the Prius he finally does not drive a manual. Of course the Prius does regenerative braking, so the intent is the same.

As to the worry about wear on the engine. We use good oils and change the regularly. And don't have any problems that can be attributed to "increased wear" on the engine.