Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:07:09 -0400
From:         Mike Bucchino <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: The Thing About Shop Time (Long But Good)

Guys,

All kinds of work is done and expenses are paid for that aren't billed. That's all in the category of 'overhead'. There are lots of costs to run any business, that aren't directly billable to the buyer of the goods or services. But, indirectly, these costs are included in the billable hourly rate. They HAVE to be. How else do these items get covered? IE; what the shop charges per hour, is NOT what the mechanic collects for each of those hours spent. Rent, heat, lights, power, water, sewer, property tax, admin staff, property maintenance, licensing and permit fees, shop tools, shop stock, trash disposal, storage, insurances, employee taxes, workmen's comp, social security, benefits; the list is endless. Then, there has to be some profit left to make it worth staying in business. These calculated times and their corresponding hourly rates charged, figure in to cover everything and still make money at the end of the day. One thing I've learned, is to never bitch about the cost of doing business. If it upsets you that much, then you're better off just getting out of the business. People comparing their hourly wage to a company's billable hourly rate is like apples and oranges. Hobbyists/ shadetree mechanics comparing their time to perform a given task is also like apples and oranges. For the most part, none of these factors is useful when comparing to these set standards. If you're working out of your house repairing vehicles for others, this info is really only useful to make a SWAG (scientific wild-ass guess) to quote a potential repair job. But if you've never done the job, and don't understand how long it will take, you probably shouldn't be comparing job labor estimates of a trained, experienced professional working in a shop with all the parts, and tools at hand with your relatively inexperienced, not-so-well-equipped work. I operated a repair shop out of my house in Phoenix for a year or so. I stopped because it doesn't pay. And also, many people don't pay. Everyone wants everything done quickly and cheaply. Then, when you call them to have them come pick it up, they don't have any money. Too many sob stories for me. Now, I just restore a car and sell it when it's done. It's easier to get paid that way. But, don't compare the standard hourly shop rate for that, either. Do it for the love of it, and enjoy what you do. Life is short. Have some fun. Enjoy your hobby.

VW's forever!

Mike B. vwmike333

P.S. This letter is dedicated to my good friend, Tom Bowman. VW machinist extraordinaire. Many people knew and loved him. He died last February of cancer. He will be sorely missed. Happy VW'ing in heaven, Tom.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Nadig" <motorbruce@hotmail.com> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 3:01 PM Subject: Re: The Thing About Shop Time (Long But Good)