Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:53:15 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gas price war(NVC)
Comments: To: Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>

Mark, all the fuels used in Alaska on the road system comes from the Tesoro cracking plant down at Kenai. There is a single pipeline from the plant to Anchorage - about 100 miles. There it is distributed to the various Oil Company storage facilities. That pipe line carries ALL fuels. The various grades of automotive fuels, heating fuels, Arctic diesel (jet fuel as well as vehicle diesel) and aviation gasolines of various grades. The fuels going to the resto of the state come in on ship and barge...... ships with bulk fuels for the coastal regions, and barges with barreled fuels for the remote areas up rivers.

I've a cousin who used to work for Union Oil in Anchorage. When it was time to fill the storage facilities he would go to Kenai, make whatever arrangements and get the fuel to his facility. Each fuel transfer was cleared from the pipleline by purges with air and fule between each fuel type After an air purge, whne the next fuel came through, the first few hundred gallons in the next transfer were wasted, just to ensure there were no contaminents from the previous fuel that came through. By monitoring very closely the fuel, he would save the waste from the aviation tranfer for me. They could not sell it, so we - he and I - used it in my airplane to fly out to go fishing.

I never really understood why Alaskan's were forced to pay the same for fuels that the rest of the country paid, given how close booth the oil fields and the craking plant was to to towns on the Kenai, Anchoraage, and the Matanuska Valley. Always seemed like a rip to me. But now I see how all the oil companies are linked into a Cartel, and speculators in the international oil markets are driving the cost of a barrel of oil, I understand.

I also understand high fuel prices when a retiring oil excutive receives a $400 million - $400,000,000 - retirement package. Nobody is worth that kind of money.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Mark Tuovinen wrote: > I am all for boycotting Exxon in particular, if it would work, for at least two reasons. Gas prices are up and yet last year they posted record profits of over 30 BILLION dollars. Inspite of these record profits they still refuse to pay the paltry 5 billion in settlement money for the Prince William Sound spill 17 years ago. They claim that they should only have to pay 25 million and because of the amount spent on the clean up they have already covered that. There is still plenty of oil to be found in the beaches of the Sound and will be for years to come. Unfortunately they do not have any outlets in Alaska so Alaskans can not vote with their wallets on this issue. > > Mark in AK > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Brian Honan <cartruckbus@GMAIL.COM> > Date: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 8:17 am > Subject: Gas price war > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > >> Hi Volks, >> >> Perhaps this has been run through the list before or several >> times but >> here goes. >> >> I just got an E mail proposing we start a Gas price war >> by boycotting Mobil Exon, and only purchasing from smaller gas >> companies. If >> the trend realy took off viea E mail chain letters, like 300 thousand >> drivers boycotting Exon Mobil, would that force them to lower the >> prices ? >> Or is there only a few refineries that are making billions off of >> us and the >> only thing to do is drive less ? >> >> >> Brian >> >> 87 Vanagon, soon to be on the road if I can aford gas for it. >> >> > > >