Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:01:32 EDT
From:         Jeff Ensing <Kjmmensing@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Foam Roller paint your Vanagon with tremclad/rustoleum
Comments: To: inua@CHARTER.NET

In a message dated 4/27/2006 10:16:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, inua@CHARTER.NET writes:

What a very interesting story! I would like to have seen that carriage.From your description is must have really been a thing of beauty. Can't help wondering about all those ground up pumas, though. That must be what brought about the decline of the big cats in the West! ;-)

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Raceingcajun wrote: > This tread brings to mind something I saw on a trip I took years ago > with the family to a West Texas "Old Wild West". Yes we took the Family > Truckster, you think you hate it now, wait til you drive it! > The town was set up and operated the way it would have 150 years ago. > All the local crafts were done by hand, such as the candle maker, > blacksmith, saddle making, leather goods, wooden furniture, gunsmith and so > on. > Then there was the Carriage shop. When we passed through the "Craftsman" > was in the process of painting a new Carriage. Everything was done in the > ordinal fashion. He didn't even have the luxury of a paint brush to work > with. He made his own paint from a mixture of oil, charcoal, turpentine, and > other items. Instead of a brush, he used a piece of cloth to spread the > paint on in several coats. After each coat was dry, he would "sand" out what > we would call brush marks and apply another coat. What he used for "sand > paper" was a mixture of linseed oil and ground up pumas, rubbed on with > another cloth. He kept doing this layer after layer, (about 20 coats he > said) until there was a smooth build up of paint that fully covered the > wood. He then started the polishing process in much the same way, using > bee's wax, and oil as a base to again make a build up. He told us the paint > job took 3 months start to finish, with drying times. So painting a Vanagon > (Vanagon content) with a roller should be a snap what with all the modern > conveniences, like sand paper, rubbing compounds, etc! ;-) By the way, he > said this where the term "Hand rubbed paint job" came from. > There was a finished buggy in the store front. The black, (with red > leather seats) finish would have rivaled any modern base coat/clear coat > paint job. Super shine a foot deep, with inlayed pearl scroll work, and pin > stripes in gold leaf, a real master piece! It came with all the modern > accessories of the day, a iron weight with strap for tie downs, a leather > feed bag that fit over the horses head, also a bag with scoop hanging on the > rear.........for the horse droppings! Must have been an EPA requirement. > Price Tag, $25,000.00! The price 150 years ago, ..................... > $75.00, a ton back then! He said a store clerk would earn about $3.00 to > $5.00 a week, and some of that would have been barter. > We just don't know how good we got it. Why when I was a kid I had to > walk 40 miles one way through the snow to school each day, and it was up > hill both ways. ;^0 > > Have a good one! > > Howard >

He He ...What kind of tires did it have?

is it Friday yet?

Jeff E 87' Westy "weekender" Atlanta, GA.