Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:58:17 -0700
From:         monte merrick <montemerrick@SPEAKEASY.NET>
Subject:      (NVC)Re: Foam Roller paint your Vanagon with tremclad/rustoleum
Comments: To: Raceingcajun <raceingcajun47@BELLSOUTH.NET>

you know, when i read the first description i thought of furniture finishing - used restore antiques and do custom color stains and stuff on early factory things - give it the old 19th century technique - and the thing is that speed is never about saving labor its about increasing labor - look at the building trades - lath and plaster worked great - and them who did the work could really become masters - and it took some time - and life was full - now sheetrock hangers and mud and tapers and painters get it done in a few days - the material can go up real fast and so those guys have to work fast - they still work a full weekand they are always, in an expression that perfectly fits our time, "banging it out" - at the end of the day they are sore, sore sore and beer and tv is about all that seems attractive - they are as spent by their jobs as their tools are.

its true that with a hand rubbed finish, done commercially, you have more than one job at a time - its not like you spend an hour and a half on a table and then have the rest of the day off - no you have other tables that need some part of the process completed - but each step of each job allows for an appreciation of the process, which is what allows for refinement and quality work - it doesn't even allow for it, appreciation is identical with mastery - that's what seems to have been forgotten these days - that real mastery is not the result of dominance but devotion -

or so i think

monte