Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Apr 2006 20:03:02 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Local gas prices

C'mon man. That's like saying if air were really polluted we'd quit breathing it.

I'm not using a drop more than I have to. My gas consumption by the gallon varies very little from month to month. Pulling my kid out of school and shutting down my business are the only further steps I could take to cut back and those obviously are not acceptable options. Until I can engineer a solution that allows us to use less gas for the same things (i.e. better mileage), or go over to something else altogether, I don't have the choice to 'stop consuming it', or even lessen my consumption.

There seems to be some weird kind of parity coming out of this... no-names are only 2-4 cents cheaper than the brand names today. $3.15 to $3.19 for regular.

I made the point to somebody in a pmail that in the 2.5 years I lived in Japan, in my off-base travels I rode in a passenger car once. Once. It was all trains and busses (and a lot of walking, but you could get to most of what you needed by walking). There were plenty of cars, though not nearly as many as Americans own. Most of the traffic you saw on the roads was commercial or mass transit. Their mega-highways were small compared to the average LA freeway. It was cheap too- you could move over most of southern Japan hopping train to train for a few main fares and some cheaper transfers, and the stations were usually no more than a few blocks from anything. Once you got used to using it (a short process) you didn't even really think about a car. Contrast that to an LA freeway; 8 or 10 lanes in some places, thousands of cars in sight- one person in each car. The waste is astounding. People commuting more than an hour or more each way to work, driving in from Palmdale, etc. 'It's a better life than in the city...' Bullshit, you live in your car, you tell your kids goodnight over the cell phone. The crap we inflict on ourselves and then put up with is beyond belief. In some ways the LA area is very similar to the Tokyo area. The population is less dense obviously but every scrap of land that isn't damn near vertical has something on it- but not parking lots. The Japanese style system would compliment LA perfectly. They should build up what's left of the freeway medians and put tracks down. Probably never happen tho.

Somebody mentioned the trucking industry here... I don't get that one either. Seems that using those dedicated rail lines to move loads long distances and then use the trucks from nodes on the line would be much more efficient and cost-effective than tens of thousands of individual trucks crossing the country every which way, some of them empty on the return. You would think cost pressures would drive that but it doesn't seem to work that way.

I think I need a Flintstonemobile.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Palmer" <jpalmer@MTS.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2006 7:03 PM Subject: Re: Local gas prices