Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:13:54 -0400
From:         -- Dan Roberts <danielcroberts@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: shady boy owners
Comments: To: crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM

Is the Shady Boy robust? Read on. I purchased a shady boy and installed it per instructions. That was about 6 weeks ago. My first use was at a camp in Madison, Indiana in March. Readers should understand this awning is supported by the tension from five fiberglass poles, each made of two connected parts. There are three large poles that support most of the weight and two smaller poles that mostly serve to give the awning more lateral coverage.

What's fascinating about this product is that it uses no verticle poles to hold up the awning, although buyers can purchase them. The three main poles thrust out from the van parallel to the ground, and of course, lay under the awning.

After setting up the awning I sat down to read an engrossing novel--in the van. I was dimly aware of a developing storm but, frankly, failed to consider the implications to the awning. When a sudden and especially strong gust of wind rocked the van I remembered the awning and parted the van's door curtains to check the awning's condition.

I was stunned to see all three poles being dragged directly upward with the force of the wind on the underside of the awning. The poles were now at a 90 degree angle to the ground. The bend in the three poles seemed already unsustainable. I got out of the van ASAP and took a closer look. All three poles were bent upward like small fishing poles attempting to bring in a shark from the sky.

With some difficulty, I removed all five poles from their mounts and dragged down the awning, now being whipped by the wind and rain. By now it was dark and I was soaking wet, so I decided to wait until morning to survey the damage.

Morning revealed the fiberglass sections laying in the mud. I had stuffed the awning into its silver carrying case mounted on the top side of the van. I was surprised and very pleased to find almost no damage to the poles or to the awning. One of the diagonal support poles had very minor splintering at the end of the section that entered the support hole/base.

I am not familiar with the characteristics of fiberglass but I have since used the Shady Boy several times with no problems. As a precaution against another such incident, I now tie down the two sides of the awning with the supplied nylon string. If I were to face another severe storm, I'd probably dismantle the awning as a precaution. But I find that tying down the ends has been sufficient to handle ordinary winds.

Finally, I have no relationship with, or contact with Shady Boy, other than to order and pay for the awning.

Dan Roberts