Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:51:03 -0400
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fun with UPS--DON'T USE THEM.

Another reason not to use UPS is cross border shipping. As a Canadian eBay addict I learned quickly that shipping by UPS or Fedex means a "brokerage fee" that can easily add 50% to the price of your item. US mail is the only way to cost effectivelt ship cross border.

Chris

On 4/27/06, Mark Tuovinen <mst@ak.net> wrote: > RE:"As for shipping tires/wheels I'm thinking a freight trucking company might give you a better price and be less risk" > > Agreed! > > Shipping to Alaska is more expensive then any other part of the US except Hawaii and often UPS is the best price depending on the size of the package, but not for wheels. I purchased four rims from someone in Las Vegas and even using our business account UPS's best price was $190.00 to Anchorage. Instead I had the wheels shipped UPS ground($37.50) to a freight company in Fife, WA and from there it was another $60.00 to Anchorage. My transmission from Daryl in Seattle was $110.00 via Lynden Transport, I could have gotten it here for less but used Lynden as they drop off at my work every week. > > Four tires/rims from the East Coast to Colorado via truck should be even less then shipping to Alaska. > > Mark in AK > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Wil Haslup <whaslup@GMAIL.COM> > Date: Thursday, April 27, 2006 11:27 am > Subject: Re: Fun with UPS--DON'T USE THEM. > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > joe trussell wrote: > > > > > What can Brown do for you? Overcharge you and lose your cargo, > > apparently. > > Having the wheels picked up relies on a driver. Banding relies on a > > driver (unless you'd already done it and then you've got heavier > > packages...and UPS has weight restrictions because they rely on the > > drivers to carry stuff). > > > > I'm not defending them but generally I don't depend on what people > > tellme over the phone. If I can't read it it ain't so because you > > can'tmake them back it up. > > > > There are some things I have to depend on UPS for...U.S.P.S., > > FedEx or > > other are just not priced well enough to manage some items. > > > > I've shipped computers and monitors sold on ebay and you're talking > > 20-30 lbs so you're in UPS's neighborhood weightwise. > > > > I pack it and take directly to the local UPS center and avoid the > > higherpriced, privately owned mail centers. I have them weigh it > > and they > > tell me the price and tell me if my packing complies with their rules. > > At that point, I've got tracking and insurance and have yet to lose > > anything. > > > > On the other side, I worked as a warehouse manager handling inventory > > for a small retail firm for a while and we depended on UPS for > > deliveries of stock in a busy resort area. The drivers were stretched > > to their limits in vacation season and verged on being reckless on > > dayswhen they were particularly fried. I don't doubt that > > mistakes happen > > and things get lost and the wrong things get quoted but do what > > you can > > to avoid introducing a human's discretion into the system and you come > > out ahead. Depend on the systems they've organized and do what > > you can > > to make your package NOT depart from it and require special > > handling and > > you'll have fewer problems. > > > > As for shipping tires/wheels I'm thinking a freight trucking company > > might give you a better price and be less risk. > > > > > > > > -- > > > > Wil > > > > "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with > > potatoes." > > -- Douglas Adams > > >