Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:40:02 -0400
From:         Mike Bucchino <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: CV Bolts

Guys,

'Triple-square' and 'hex' are not the proper terms used for VW's internal-wrenching bolts. It "6-point' or '12-point'. Here's how to break torque on a stubborn, rusted or rounded-out VW cv bolt regardless of the fact that it's a 6 or 12 point type. For inner cv's, put the vehicle up on jackstands and make sure that the tires are clear enough to rotate freely (no e-brake on either!). Now, rotate the tire to a spot where it's comfortable to get at the offending cv bolt. Place a BF screwdriver (or prybar) close to the axle above one adjacent bolt and below another adjacent bolt so that the forces of loosening the bolt will be opposed by this lever. This will prevent the axle from rotating while you're applying as much torque as necessary to break loose the offending bolt. Now, use the proper 3/8" drive 6 or 12 point bit tool on your breaker/ ratchet or flex handle if it's a good, clean cv bolt. If it's a screwed-up cv bolt, use large, toothy vice-grips installed as tightly as possible on the smooth outside of the cv bolt head to break torque and loosen it a bit. Now you can finish removal by hand or using you special tool, as it'll spin freely now. I've done this trick on Beetles, Busses, Vanagons, Rabbits, Golfs, Jettas, Audis, Porsches, etc., when drastic measures became necessary.

You're now saying, ".......but wait! That trick won't help me with the OUTER cv bolts on the Vanagon!" Those one's are hiding way deep inside the dark inner recesses of the box steel trailing arm.......... but that's also easily addressed by my OTHER secret trick............. Before you jack up the van and set it on jackstands, for this minor surgical procedure, break the big 46MM axle nut(s) loose on the desired axle assembly (or both, if planning on doing cv boots and grease repacking work). Can you see where this is leading? You don't want to remove the axle nuts totally yet, just loosen them up so that they're free spinning and ready to go when the time is right. Now, set'er up on the jackstands, as I described before, and remove all the inner cv bolts, so that you can drop the axle's inner cv end off of the trans axle flange. Now, remove your axle nut completely, and slide that puppy right outta there! Look at those grungy outer cv bolts, blinking cause of the bright lights in their eyes! Now, use the pry bar and vice-grip trick on those bad larry's, as necessary! As a Mexican friend of mine once said, "No problem!!!!!! .............and if there IS a problem??????.........NO PROBLEM!!!!!!!"

Now that you've got those thing out of there, think about the next poor bastard and replace the screwed-up ones with 12-points! Unless you laying on the side of the road, trying to get'er home. BTDT! Then, reinstall them nice and snugly with the prybar and vice-grip trick, only in reverse! The beauty of this is that the vise-grip marks aren't gonna ding-up the bolts internal splines at all! You might make a sharp burr that'll stick your finger, but you can file that off if you'd like.

Hope this helps!

Mike B.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Bange" <jbange@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 1:52 AM Subject: Re: CV Bolts

> > > So, which is considered "better"? I went by my VW dealer, and when > the ordered some, they came in as allen head, not triple squares. > > They had some triple squares available, but they were slightly > shorter (5mm maybe) and the threads didn't extend as far. >

I'm probably imagining it, but I think I recall the triple squares people use actually being Porsche parts and the "official" VW part is still the same E-Z Strip Hex Socket it's always been? Personally, I feel better with the triple-squares. All mine were formerly hexies and I had some nerve-wracking moments pulling a couple of 'em out. Two of them were "pre-buggered" for me by the PO or his butcher mechanic, so I had to resort to a filed down 7mm hex driver pounded in with a hammer. Working as a locksmith I frequently run into rounded- or rusted-out hex socket set screws and, if they're large enough, they get replaced with a Torx.Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never seen a Torx or similar multi-lobe fastener strip out. Just the thought of trying to remove a completely rounded hex-type CV bolt inside that outer hub cavity....(shudder)

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger"