Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:47:46 -0400
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Hints on installing Sirius

Tom,

I've had my Sirius receiver for 3 years now. I mounted the antenna under the front luggage roof rack on the driver's side. I ran the wire into the interior of my 87 Westy by removing the metal strip holding the leading edge of lower part of the canvas and laying the antenna wire along the metal roof. I covered the wire with some duct tape, then put the canvas back in place and screwed down the metal strip.

The antenna is hidden from view, gets good reception, etc.

Ric

At 05:07 PM 4/28/2006, Maggie Dew wrote: >Tom, > >I wouldn't recommend the plan of running the antenna wire back under the >canvas - BTDT - had to buy a new antenna when mine got crimped with the >poptop down. But maybe you have a better plan than I did ;>) > >I also don't recommend putting an antenna in the front window as someone >suggested a week or two ago - doesn't work as well there as it does on top >of, or underneath, the luggage carrier. I got very spotty reception when I >tried it. > >Maggie > > > >Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:20:55 -0500 >From: Tom S <tom@SALICOS.COM> >Subject: Re: Any hints on installing Sirius Sat Radio in Westy? > >Quoting Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>: > >>I am putting a Sirius Satellite radio setup in a 91 Westy. Anyone do >this= >? >>Any hints on how to do it or where to put the antenna for best signal? >An= >y >>advice would be welcome. >> >>Thanks, >>Ken Wilford >>John 3:16 >>http://www.vanagain.com >>http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com >>http://www.eurovan.org >>http://www.vwcabrio.org >>Phone: (856)-327-4936 >>Fax: (856)-327-2242 > >Hi Ken, > >There were a few threads on this last year. I screwed a piece of =20 >angle iron on an inside edge of the luggage compartment and stuck the =20 >antenna there. Some put it under the luggage rack and I read =20 >somewhere that at least one has taken it back from under there. > >*The cable is currently routed through the passenger door, but it also =20 >can go back and under the canvas, then over the headliner. I'll be =20 >doing that in time. >* >What type of receiver? I have the Sportster with a suction cup that =20 >holds it to the windshield. I started with it in the middle of the =20 >windshield but moved it to the left side of the windshield where I can =20 >reach it better. Then ran the wires down the column. > >Did you know that if you have high speed Internet access you can also =20 >play Sirius through your home computer? It's at >WWW.Sirius.com<http://www.sirius.com/>. >=20 >Select "Listen" and enter username and password. > >Best, > >Tom Salicos >'87 Syncro Westy EG-33