Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Apr 2006 03:18:04 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Local gas prices

I think what concerns most people (at least Americans) isn't necessarily the actual cost of gas but the actual cost of the driving they have to do taken altogether. You'd like to have cheap gas and better mileage but that's only part of it. At some point there'll be an event horizon for each of us where we can either afford to drive or we can't.

> - live in a place where you don't have to drive. Yup, that means you > have > to live NEAR OTHER PEOPLE! Horrors! Most Americans don't want to. > Including a lot of vanagonauts, as far as I can tell.

There are a number of trade-offs there, most of which fall into the negative, IMO. The difference in the cost of housing in a highly populated area vs. where I'm living now would easily exceed any savings I would see even if I got rid of my vehicles altogether, which isn't an option anyway. Probably wind up paying for parking on top of everything else. Added to that the other issues of crime, filth and all the other problems that go with overcrowding and it's not an option at all. In terms of actual cost it'd be a big negative... and the more people that did that, the more of a negative it would be, as density drives up housing costs. It's cheaper to live in the boonies, no matter how 'cool' the cities may be. Healthier, too.

> - don't drive a vehicle that gets less than 50 mpg. Yeah, no vanagons. > Get a Prius.

A Prius gets aroung 45 mpg in real-world driving. That isn't much better than my Rabbit got some 20-odd years ago. The true cost of owning a Prius based on 15k miles per year runs to about 36k over five years, 10k in the first year and about 6k per year for the next four years. I doubt if it cost me 6k to run my Vanagon for two years, never mind one. Assuming the Prius gets 29 mpg better than the Vgon, I'd save about 1600 a year in gas at today's prices. That wonderful gas mileage would only put me in the hole about 1500 bucks a year. Lucky me. That's assuming I could run right out and buy a new car if I wanted to. I'm much better off getting that Rabbit back on the road. If I get into biodiesel or WVO I can even 'feel good' about it, eh?

A Prius might as well be a phone booth for all I'd get out of it. I can't get my family in it and I couldn't really carry anything else if I could. This goes to a point you made in your other email:

"Many Americans are convinced that they need a big heavy-duty vehicle to lug stuff around. Not just the few who really need them - everyone wants that option in case they ever need to transport anything. Many American families also feel that each of them must own a vehicle big enough to transport their kids' entire soccer teams at once. This problem is getting worse - when I was a kid it was fine for a family with three kids to travel in a modest sedan - now that would be considered way too small."

I can fit my family in the Vgon, get two weeks' worth of groceries and probably a month's worth of household stuff (like at Walmart or Kmart) in one run. We combine these trips with other things like the school run and doctor's appts and such. That saves me gas / money, not to mention time. In a sedan I'd probably have to make two trips by myself just to get the food and stuff, nevermind the other things. My family is half a kid larger than average but I don't think folks like me necessarily number 'in the few'.

Having said that, I don't get SUVs. Haven't seen one yet that really had any usefull room in it other than a Suburban. Most people we know that have kids drive minivans or the like. I know one woman that has a late-model 15 seat GM van, but she actually needs the seats much of the time. That thing gets better milage than my Vanagon, btw- by about 2 mpg.

> Reducing energy consumption is, IMO, an ethical choice. It is not always > the most economical option, especially if you have already got sunk costs > in > housing out in a place where you have to drive everywhere (and apparently > there aren't any school buses) and in inefficient vehicles.

Here's an interesting article on just how 'green' these hybrids really are:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/articles/060331/31hybrids.htm

I have 350k on my van. That's probably equal to two lifespans of these hybrids. I wonder that a properly maintained Vanagon given those conditions and facts isn't actually the 'cleaner' of the vehicles- added to that, so many people are converting them to newer more efficient engine technology and are looking to take them into a third decade.

Like I said, I think for most it comes down to actual cash out of pocket, but along with that I can live in a place that's cheap, my kids are relatively safe, it has no pollution (noise, light, smog or otherwise) or crime to speak of, has a blue sky instead of a brown one and drive a vehicle I own outright that gets average mileage, or I can pay tons more to live in some crowded urban hell where our health and peace of mind will suffer and I have to loom over my kids like a bodyguard 24/7 and make payments on some boat anchor that I don't like or want and doesn't even come close to doing what I need it to do.

No contest. When it comes to allocating resources, I'd rather save money and pay out the nose for the gas.

Cya, Robert