Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Apr 2006 02:59:24 EDT
From:         -- Dan Roberts <DanielCRoberts@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Clock problem resists fixing

I previously wrote to the List about this problem but want to try once more.

I had a local radio installation shop do some minor electrical work on my Vanagon. They installed a switch which allows me to turn on/off the radio/cd/cigarette lighter/XM radio separate from my ignition. I also had all of this equipment run off my secondary deep cycle battery. Consequently, I can run these options at night while I'm reading, sleeping, etc. without worry that the primary battery might be run down.

Unfortunately, the repair person somehow disconnected my clock while doing this repair. He refused to accept responsibility for this error and I have been unable to get the clock running. The light for the clock does work. I am not an electrician although I have done several electrical repairs and lighting additions to the Vanagon. Thus, I have some experience and can follow instructions.

However, I am at a loss as to what may account for the clocks failure to run --- or even appear in the clock window. The clock is still present in its correct position but, because it does not illuminate, appears to be absent when you look at the dash opening intended for the clock. What you see is an illuminated green but blank space.

If all else fails, I may have to hire this work but I am very reluctant to hire further electrical work both because of the cost and because of this experience.

You have helped me through many problems and I hope you can help me solve this one. BTW, I have researched past postings regarding clock problems without success in solving this problem.

Please consider your experiences repairing clock problems and their possible relevance to this situation. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards, Dan Roberts