Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Apr 2006 08:18:45 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Altfurnace

> Dennis Haynes wrote: > >> Want to fill the 100 gallon tank in my motor > home? How about people > >> filling their home heating oil tanks? Now > here is an opportunity for > >> waste or vegetable oil. Oil burners will > burn anything that remains > >> fluid and can burn. Put a really good, high > capacity filter > > before the > >> pump and pour it in. Stain it to keep out > the floating food > > stuff. Keep > >> a spare nozzle just in case. You can > actually buy furnaces and > > boilers> expressly designed for used motor > oil and other fuels. > >> > >> Dennis

There is a Yahoo groups I am subscribed to called Altfurnace and members are doing this very thing, Waste motor oil, Biodiesel, SVO, even ATF can be burned in a home furnace. Store bought lard is not affordable. I was looking at a 5 gallon tub in the local store yesterday and it's $32.00.

I can't afford to heat the house with home heating oil so I use a baseboard heater. Electricity is now cheaper to heat with. I also burn wood in the fireplace , but that's a lot of work when I already have a lot of work.

The 300 gallon tank costs over $900.00 to fill. I am planning to make my own fuel . Aren't you?

Filling the Vanagon tank now costs $50.00 so time to start driving the Jetta which gets 37 mpg. And it has only a 13 gallon tank which will help reduce pump shock. In February gas was at $1.95 a gallon for regular. Now it's over $3.00. Diesel engines are hard to find and who is going to pay $10,000 for a conversion?

If I put one in the '86 I am restoring, I will ask $10,000 for it and the whole car- not just the engine.

The idea is that it's those of us on a budget that can't afford high fuel costs let alone a $10,000 TDI conversion.

I mean, when you head over to green Diesel and Biodiesel the hands out out for the green paper. They are in the business for the big profits just like big oil.

Nothing wrong with profits, but are these Vanagons which are obsolete to most Americans going to become too expensive to own except by the afluent few enthusiasts?? The many of us are already looking at and obtaining better MPG vehicles.

It was'nt that long ago nobody wanted a Diesel in their Vanagon . The Vanagon Diesel 1.6 makes the vanagon slower than the old split bus.

If the TDI conversions are only for those with the moulah, then the rest of us poor suckers will have to resurrect old B-10's or convert our engines to steam.

I'm thinking of the cheaper naturally aspirated 1.9 Diesel non-turbo because it is cheaper for those of us who can't afford the extra labor and parts of a turbo or TDI.

If anyone knows how to do a cheap Turbo I'd like to hear about it, but I don't think they want me to ask that question on the TDI list. I already did and it's "go Turbo". Yes, I understand- but right now fuel economy outweighs power . I know you get fuel economy with turbo, but the parts are'nt economical to buy. For the money, I can buy a cheap Toyota or VW Bug .

Robert

1982 Westfalia

--------------------------------- Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone calls to 30+ countries for just 2¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.