Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 May 2006 22:03:49 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1984 Vanagon GL H2O

I think you're off your Ritalin again man. : )

How much of this can you do yourself? How would you rate your mechanical ability (including access to tools and a place to work) with one being the lowest and ten being the highest?

Most of that stuff you should be able to do with a Bentley and a simple tool kit between beers.

Check with the list vendors for that coolant hose, or someone might know of a proven alternative. There's a list of Napa hoses by number and what they can be substituted for in the archives

The A/C and the tranny are a different matter- the tranny you can deal with if you're motivated (maybe 500 bucks of motivation), at least in getting it out and back in, and shipping it off to be rebuilt. I'm gonna take a flying guess and say if you've been doing the old fill-and-leak routine then the 'hard parts' are likely already damaged. Anyway if it's gotta be opened up you might as well go all the way, it's not that expensive. I believe a list member recently paid around $600 for a rebuild.

The A/C in the earlier models was a dealer option, IIRC. Hard to say what you have or used to have there, but you can get various setups to add it.

If it's an option I'd spend my money on some decent tools and only let the mechanic at the things I just flat-out could not do myself. If you're gonna pay somebody to do all that little stuff at shop rates that van is gonna bankrupt you.

Good luck, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Levine" <ELevine3035@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 9:09 PM Subject: 1984 Vanagon GL H2O

I took in my vanagon to the local mechanic and gave him my wish list. He called me back with an estimate: 1. Bottle for re-fill tank, level sensor, hose over transmission: don't make it anymore, so needs to figure out and make one that fits. Previous owner put a hose on that was too big and even fully clamped down, leaks. Hose is to the oil cooler on the transmission. He needs to fiddle with it until he finds the right hose: $210.00 2. Transmission leaking everywhere, pan, gasket, torque converter, seal between transmission and differential. The transmission has to be taken out and resealed. A new clutch will be put in and basically needs a re-build. This has to be done before I begin doing damage to the hard parts: $1,100.00 (he takes it out and brings it to the tranny guy across the street) 3. Lubricated the doors and locks, now my doors open like butter (was having trouble with my back door lock and passenger side lock was not opening, sliding door has no key). I have three keys: ignition, door and gas cap. 4. Oil Change 5. Clamped the filler pipe for the oil so it doesn’t vibrate off, it was cracked. 6. As for the sliding window. It locks but it vibrates open after driving. So I need to check if it is locked. I thought it was the weather stripping or the guide rail on the bottom. He said it needs a new lock for the sliding window and I can look on ebay, samba, go westy, etc. 7. The starter is working. Sometimes you have to wait for it to start. He said the starter is full of transmission fluid from the leak, so it may have to be replaced. He said the starter could be okay and I could wait to replace it until it fails but while he has the tranny out, there is no labor cost for changing the starter: $155.00 (its up to me if I want a new starter put on) 8. The rear brakes are shot that’s why I need to pull the parking brake all the way up: $250.00 I plan on giving him another list: 1. I gave him the original keys. Need to check if the key copies work like the originals on the two doors he lubricated. 2. Show him what I know about the sliding window lock, may or may not be the lock itself. 3. I put on a new passenger side rear view mirror. It did not hold its position, so I took it off and twisted the base to tighten the screw mechanism inside. I put plumbing goop in between the rubber washer and the door and between the mirror and the washer. Do I need to reapply the glue between the washer and mirror again. I haven’t tested it yet on the highway to see if it holds position. Did I twist it too much? Is it a defective mirror or did I loosen it by twisting it when I was trying to figure out how to install it. 4. Blind spot mirrors for the side mirrors. Where to put them and how big to get? 5. Show him the extra parts such as fuel filter, window roll up handles, belt, spark plugs, fuses, light bulbs etc. 6. Is it possible to set up a hammock or rack to hang surf boards from the ceiling of the vanagon. To access the engine, I have to move my surfboards to the front of the vehicle. 7. The van doesn’t have AC. How much of the hardware for the AC was removed and a price on installing AC. 8. License plate holder for front bumper. Eric 1984 Vanagon GL H2O Asuan Brown