Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 May 2006 21:49:19 -0400
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ipod installation in your van
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@uvic.ca>

Here is a very slick ashtray setup:

http://www.251.org/83VgoniPod.html

Chris

On 5/4/06, Alistair Bell <albell@uvic.ca> wrote: > hi, > > I have my mini on a cig lighter based stalk. Has a dock at one end > and a bendable stalk to the cig lighter end which has the mini din > jack to head unit. > > 2-3 probs that you have to address: > > 1. the stock vanagon lighter i have seems shallower and maybe even a > touch wider than the dock plug wants. An extra o ring on plug solves > that. > > 2. the stock lighter has a tendency to rotate in the dash. I glued it > in with epoxy > > 3 - optional - on rough roads the stalk will bounce a round a bit. I > made a wooded support (quite nice IMHO, smooth shark fin like curve > with o ring acting as rubber band to hold stalk onto end of it) that > i stuck onto dash with double sided tape (originally used magnet). > > After these mods the set up works just fine. The cig stalk adapter > was under CAD 40. > > Alistair > > > > > '82 westy, diesel converted to gas in '94 > http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/ > > On 4-May-06, at 4:39 PM, robertmstewart wrote: > > Has Anyone found a good place where to located your iPod in your van. > Currently I take the ashtray out, and put it in there while driving. > > I have a SONY Head unit with an aux in that I have a stereo rca wired > into > and works great, the problem is finding a good spot to mount the base > station for the iPod. > > I thought about putting some Velcro down on the dash, just right of the > driving console and mounting the base there, but part of me thinks that > attaching an L bracket to to plastic to the left of the automatic > shifter > and placing the base station on their would be a better idea. I could > run > the rca cable down there and a power line from the cig. Lighter. > > How would I take a constant draw off the cig. Lighter and hardware > the power > supply for the ipod? That way the cig. Lighter could still be used for > powering other things. Would this be difficult? > > I would be interested in seeing what others have done and hearing your > suggestions... > > Thanks in advance, > > Rob > -- > Rob > NYC/Long Beach, NY > 88 Wolfsburg, Silver >