Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 May 2006 08:45:09 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: spiffing up my ride
Comments: To: John Bange <jbange@gmail.com>

Thanks for the video link John, its a beauty!

In the past, I have used Vaseline to 'mask' impossible surfaces. A small artist's brush works as an applicator, then just wipe it off when you're done.

Happy Friday, Jake

On 5/5/06, John Bange <jbange@gmail.com> wrote: > > > what sort of results has anyone had with removing and painting the " > > Vanagon" Volkswagon" tags on the door. > > > Some have reported success using silver wheel paint on the emblem pieces. > The only difficulty is in masking off the complex shapes so you can paint > the "background" portions a proper black. I've got a couple busted-up > emblems I'm experimenting with, trying to find a "brush on" masking > material > that'll work. I still need to pick up the silver wheel paint and research > what kind of stuff might be able to stand up to it. I'm thinking painting > the whole thing black to start, then thinned-down silicone rubber sealant > maybe, "poured" into the low spots and around the sides with a "dam" so > it'll be self-levelling. > > Also does the grill hold paint ok ? > > > I painted my lower grill to match my new SA upper grill. I can't say I was > very diligent at prepping it. Washed with SimpleGreen + water, wiped down > with denatured alcohol, and sprayed with one careless coat from the same > can > of Krylon satin black I had left over from painting my mirror housings. > Turned out rather nice. I would definitely recommend "satin black" rather > than gloss or flat. I think gloss tends to look "painted" and shows flaws > to > easily, and flat looks just plain old and dirty. Satin just looks like > plastic. > > > > I chose spiffing, to avoid the negative conintations of a pimp. > > Although amoungst friends I do like the term "pimp my ride" but regard > > pimps as the scum of the earth. > > > And after those commercials, there's no way a VW owner could want to > "pimp" > their vehicle... > > "Yo Mikey you vahnt us to unpimp zis ting lemme hear you say vaht?" > "What?" > BAM! > > < > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1948433946923483148&q=vw+commercial > > > > -- > John Bange > '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger" >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com