Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 May 2006 00:03:40 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: New Propane tank and Regulator Fitting
Comments: To: Jarrett Kupcinski <kpcnsk@SPRYNET.COM>

I replaced my propane tank recently, so a couple of things to mention. First, get some brake cleaner and Super Penetrant. Use the brake cleaner to get any grime off the connections. Use some of the Super Penetrant on the nuts that hold the old propane tank in place. You should not need to use it on the propane connectors.

To get the old lines off. You should use one wrench to hold the T in place, and another to loosen the nut holding the flange on the pipe to the T. It's not held on exceedingly tight. Just gas tight. With the copper lines disconnected you'll have a couple of choices...but before you go any further....

Do you want to work on the pipes and cut them down to the proper size? The new regulator is longer, so you'll need to cut about 1 1/2 inches off the exist pipes, and you'll then need to reflange them. If you do this, you should also have a way to check the new fittings for leaks.

I bought (a number of years ago) a hydrocarbon sniffer. Not a cheap tool, but it is better than your nose at smelling leaks in propane lines. After I trimmed my lines and reflanged, I tightened things up....and then turned on the gas and use the sniffer. Yep. Leaks. Closed things down, and I redid things, and then rechecked. Found another leak. Tightened that up and no leaks.

But, I've got the tools. The proper tools make this about a 1 hour job. If you don't have the tools....reuse the old regulator unless you know it is bad. You won't have to trim or bend the old copper lines and it will be a lot easier on you. But you'll still need to check for leaks. Most back yard mechanics will use the soap bubble test. I never have.