Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 May 2006 01:15:36 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      How to not install Toureg alloy wheels on a Vanagon and why I am
              not driving a Syncro Doka to SdM
Comments: To: "syncro@yahoogroups.com" <syncro@yahoogroups.com>,
          syncrodoublecabs@yahoogroups.com, Adventurewagen@yahoogroups.com

Hello Folks,

In preparation for SdM, my buddy Jero and I went scrounging for ideas on what to bring. We decided early on that the Syncro 16 Doka with the new 1.9TD AAZ motor was perfect for the event. We went scurrying about to get some pretty wheel on her. For those of you who know, I simply went to my "library of wheels". We settled on Tourage 17" alloys with Pirelli Scorpions. These guys were monsters 3" taller than the teensy tires on my old Carat. Anyway, my Syncro has the longer wheelbase which allows for bigger tires, plus it has the factory cut fender arches to swallow some pretty big rubber.

The Toureg like it's cousin the Porsche Cayenne use a Porsche bolt pattern of 5 X 130mm. As you may recall, our Vanagons are 5 X 112mm. So no problem. I had several sets of wheel adapters in various configurations. We decided to take the ones out of my turbo Subie powered van.

OK so now everything was laid out and ready to go. We try to bolt on the adapters first. Ouch! The hole in the middle was too small. I bought them already done. Apparently they were never properly cut. We put everything away. We go over to my buddy Bruce's shop to see if they can cut the hole bigger. I jog through my memory banks and remember I always tell people to make their centerbore 66mm. I gave the adapter's to Bruce's machinist Lorenzo after we pop all the studs. It would not fit in his lathe otherwise. OK so we see T6061 aluminum shavings literally flying inthe air as Lorenzo did his magic. An hour later and we are heading home full of enthusiasm.

Wheels off, adapters on... wait... 66mm is not enough. My Syncro 16 needs another millimeter or so to clear. So from now on, I will be recommending at least 67mm prefering 68mm. We scraped and filed the center ridge on the front hubs. With some friendly persuasion, they press onto the centering ridge on the Syncro's front hub. We bolt everything on the driver's side. They I discover we are out of conical seat lugnuts which are what's needed for the adapters to avoid having to use longer studs. About then, I noticed a bag of nice cadmium plated lugnuts on the bench. Jero said it was for his Suburban so no chance they will fit. Well ya see this guy BenT has been looking at specs on those very same lugnuts for some time. He grabs the bag knowing full well that they have the same thread and pitch as a Vanagon lugnut except they had large hex heads. BOOM, we got lugnuts. Adapters go on followed by the wheels. Hmmmm.... that's odd. The studs look so short. I only got 6 turns on when I bolted the wheels on. They should have gone about 10 turns. I reach behind one of the spokes...

To my dismay, I discovered that we just bolted the wheels to the nuts holding the adapters instead of the surface of the adapters. How did this happen when they worked fine with the Porsche Cup 2 alloys on my Subie van. We pull everything off. Careful examination reveals that the pockets in the Toureg alloys allow for things like adapter lugnuts which have a 5 X 130mm pattern. The Vanagon is of course 5 X 112mm. The result is the shoulder of the nuts is catching the edge of alloys. No go! Additional spacers would not work as the studs in the adapters would then be too short. Different adapters are required. The simpler soluton was to bolt on some Porsche alloys. All the ones I had on hand had tiny tires. They looked pathetic on the Syncro. That's not even considering the fact that all the wheels I had were staggered fit, That means wider in the rear and in most Porsche's cases, different height tires. We all know what that scenario would do to even a well mannered Syncro. It's viscous coupling would likely be viciously thrashed by such a combination.

So there yo have it. We are showing up late today at SdM with my 2wd gray Doka which was formerly a drug smuggler's rig. Before that, it was owned by none other than our own Glen Cook from Canada. But that is another story for another day.

See you guys in Hollister. Remember, before you try to put those pretty and big Toureg wheel and tire combos, save yourself the hassle and ask me first. BTDT.

BenT