Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 May 2006 14:38:56 -0700
From:         Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: help....84 starting problems

The problem does sound like vapour lock, doesn't it? Same symptoms, but maybe a different cause. I would suggest checking the voltage available to your injectors, while hot AND turning over the starter. The circuit that controls all that is sensitive to low voltage, and may not be firing the injectors, while the starter is actually engaged. That is why it will roll start without issue - no extra heavy-duty draw. My best guess would be either the conections at the starter solenoid, or possibly the solenoid itself. The older your starter, the greater the probability of either corrosion at the terminals, or just a tired unit... Next place to check would be the battery cables at both ends.

neil <goofymuso@YAHOO.CA> wrote: Vapour lock? Is that possible on a vanagon?

I recall that my old volvo 145 had a "hot start" device. It was supposed to adjust a part in the carb to help it start when engine hot. Of course it would malfunction when engine was hot. (a cruel irony if you ask me.....)

I realize the comparison is "apples to oranges" in a way, but is there a similar part on your vans engine? Some kind of hot start device?

--- "A. B. Czerny" wrote:

> I've read a bunch of stuff and havent found a > solution to my problem. > > Here is the problem. The van starts fine when it > is cold. It also starts fine if it's been running > for 7-10 minutes or less and I turn it off and > restart it. But, if I run it for longer and turn > it off it won't restart. It turns over just fine > but just doesnt catch. The only way to get it > started is to roll start it. If I do roll start > it, it runs just fine. If I wait half an hour or > more to let the engine cool it starts. > > Any suggestions? > -Andrew >

Neil Nicholson. 1981 air cooled Westfalia Cheap-o web site:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/tubanick/welcomewesty.html